Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leadership

I find students respond much better to an instructor if they view them as leaders, not managers.

Students need an instructor who can motivate them to learn. Having a manager relay information leaves the class feeling as though then have been "told" something, whereas a leader would leave the feeling that they have learned. Involving the students and proving that their instructor can influence their decision making abilities defines the qualities of a leader, which makes for good learners.

Andrew, interesting point. It sounds like you would prefer to facilitate learning versus lecturing. I wonder, how does this transition to the workplace for you?

Dr. Jean Norris

Becoming a new instructor will force me to recognize what has worked in the past to help my knowledge grow. Lecturing provides the foundation, but demonstrations and hands on work help build the skills necessary to apply the knowledge to real world use.

Andrew, thanks for sharing your perspective here.

Dr. Jean Norris

There are common traits that define leadership, and finding them only takes some study of those who have been successful. By actively building on some of these traits I believe one can develop into a stronger leader. Some traits include: Empathy,Consistancy,Honesty, Direction,Communication, Flexibility, and Conviction

Your statement is very true. Students need that mentor to lead them in the direction of their chosen professional career by the technical skills they are taught.

These are great examples of leadership traits. What experiences have you had with putting these traits into action?

Mentoring can be very powerful with the right leadership. Thank you for your insight Deborah.

Student are looking for good role models. It is important that the manager continues to inspire and motivate our students. Lead by example.

Every faculty and staff member has the opportunity to provide leadership by example for the students. What specifically can you do in your role to provide great examples for your students, Linda?

I can see both roles in an instructor.
Managing the transfer of skills and knowledge in a timely fashion is basically the job description.
However, leadership reflects on how you act in the classroom: attitude; inspiration; vision.
It is possible to have graduates with the same skills, but horrible attitudes. That's where influence as a leader can be seen.

Alexander,
Very well said. Instructors have many opportunities to utilize both their management and leadership skills when working with their students. As you point out, the 'job description' requires strong management skills, however having the ability to step into the leadership role is where instructors can influence their students most. Thank you for your post.

Dr. Jean Norris

In my personal opinion I like to have somebody in my side to encourage me, direction me, to chose a professional career that I am already interesting and the habolities already have or i already learn.

Sign In to comment