Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At what point does a leader decrease, to allow followers to increase?

I know a leader must be charismatic and vision motivated, but when does one in such a position take advice from his/her followers?

Your awareness about leadership charachteristics is spot on. I'm curious on your take of your question, "when does one is such a position take advice?" What do you think?

I was quite curious about one loosing credibility as a leader. Often times, we hold our leaders up to god-like standards, in that they are "all knowing". At what point does a leader draw back in order to let the masses shine? Are leaders supposed to be selfless and put the team in the forefront at all times?

Only the strong leader is not afraid to ask advice. Loyal followers would see that as honesty and would feel themselves as part of the leadership. They will feel proud not only to reflect the "shine" of the leader, yet to add their own ray into the light of the great leadership.

Leaders that refuse to take advice from his/her followers are frustrating. Good leaders are interested in feedback. They solicit their followers' thoughts. If an effective leader operates under the principle that good leaders identify their weaknesses and staff them, then he/she should listen to the feedback from those around whose job is to support the vision.

I, personally, respond better to transparent and honest leadership. I prefer a leader who is comfortable enough to admit when they mess up or that they are unsure about something and need my help. Holding leaders to god-like standards is unrealistic and a set up for disappointment. A team is interdependent and the leader is part of the team. We may have different functions within the team but we are all important and need each other to function efficiently -- leader included.

Janet, that's a great point. Feedback is sometimes hard to hear, but ultimately it will make you a better leader. Keep up the great work.

Dr. Jean Norris

Interesting idea Janet. It sounds like you prefer a leader that is open with the staff and will create an environment of trust. I'm curious, what are some things that the leader could do to create that?

Dr. Jean Norris

A good leader will go at it alone. A great leader will always seek input from those he/she leads.

Leadership to me is the ability to motivate a group of people to accomplish a task that may not be desirable. The ability to communicate with the employee and motivate them is something that takes time and effort towards connecting with them and supporting them to build the influence between the group members.

Very true, Nicholas. Relationship building is so important at every level. Can leadership only take place in an undesirable situation?
Dr. Jean Norris

So would a leader who compromises his vision due to continuously poor feedback still be considered a good leader?

Chris, That is a great question. What are your thoughts on this?
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree with Kevin. You need a great leader to show the way. Someone who goes at everything alone is no longer leading, they are creating a following. A Great leader should never have to decrease what he or she is doing. They need to provide the materials to get everyone else caught up.

Sign In to comment