Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

mirleidys, We agree! Thank you for sharing.
Dr. Jean Norris

Self Management Skills would have to come first, before Relationship skills can be built. You must first be self-aware before you can then be aware of having empathy for what another person is feeling. I find this to be true for myself as I continue to learn each and every day new lessons on how to handle situations in my personal life and in the work place.

Aaron, What great self-awareness. It is important to have both, so keep up the good work in your discovery!
Dr. Jean Norris

I believe they are both equally important, they are a complement of each other. Self management allows me to be an example by the way I deal with moods and emotions with myself and others. I have earned my co-workers respect (lead by example). I often bring ideas to the table which for the most part have taken things to the next level due to my level of motivation, passion and positivism. Relation Skills allow me to play the role of a mediator, a peace maker in my work environment where 99% are women.

Marjorie, Agreed, both are important. Like you stated, each role is played in a different situation.
Elizabeth Wheeler

Relationship skills are more important because you have to build relationships to get thing done.

after reading your post I would agree that they do go hand in hand.

Troy, Interesting! Do you feel that self-management skills can help with relationship skills? In what way?
Dr. Jean Norris

While obviously both are important, my answer as to which is more critical would be, self-management skills. I say this because if I cannot manage my own emotions and behaviors, I will never earn the trust and respect of others, leaving me unable to effectively build relationships with them. In other words, I have to set the example of what I expect before I can ask others to do the same.

Jeffrey ,

Excellent observation! Thank you for sharing your thoughts in the forum!

Elizabeth Wheeler

I am not sure that you can really say that one is more critical than the other. If you can't manage yourself, you cannot have good relationships. To be a leader, you must build good relationships or you have no one to follow you. I think they go hand in hand.

Sign In to comment