Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree. If I cant self manage then it would be near impossible to build relatioships. My reactions bring about reactions from others.If I can manage myself in a powerful dynamic way, then I can build the realtioships in the same manner.

Dana,
Wells said! What will you do/add differently as a result of this insight?

Dr. Jean Norris

I think both of them are critical. You must have Self Management skills to be a manager, but relationship skills to be a leader.

Gaylene, Very true. It can also be stated that you need self management skills in order build a relationship. Would you agree?

Dr. Jean Norris

I believe that Self-Management Skills is more critical than Relationship Management Skills because with obtaining self-management skills you have the ability to be very productive without being micro-managed or dictated on what had to be done on a daily basis. To be able to obtain strong Self-Management skills, someone must have various charatersteristic in their personality, to include: initiative, drive, determination, and perseverance.

Miriam, That is true. When do you feel relationship skills are important?
Dr. Jean Norris

As soon as you step into the office. A leader needs to know how to maintain and develop good relationships with his/her peers. Communicating clearly with your co-workers during a project or meeting is also important so everyone in that room heads the same direction. A leader needs to inspire all his/her team members when something is not giving the wanted results. This may cause conflict within the team when positive results are not attained, and a leader must manage any conflicts that may come up. A great leader has all members of the team work as efficiently as possible.

Relationship skills are important when you are trying to establish a team work within associates.
Without team work, you could be lacking trust and respect. It's very important to be able to have a balance between trust and relationships, to be able to have a good relationship skills, trust and respect within your peers and work environment. You will be able to create healthy morality within the company.

Relationships are important because maintaining good correspondence with your co-workers and communicating clearly, will inspire and influence others, work well in a team, and manage conflict. It also contribute to your self-management skills; being able to control impulsive feelings and behaviors, manage your emotions in healthy ways, take initiative, follow through on commitments, and adapt to changing circumstances. In other words it will provide you with stronger connections, success at work, and achieve your career and personal goals.

Great thoughts all around, Miriam. It is so important to have both relationship and self-management skills, and the awareness of how you communicate as well as others communicate. Thank you for sharing all your thoughts on this so thoroughly in the forum!
Dr. Jean Norris

I agree, they are both as important. You need an equal balance between both to manage successfully.

This is a really interesting question, but I will disagree with the comment below. I believe Self Management skills are more important as they influence relationship skills. Someone who can manage him/herself appropriately will have a head start in developing and maintaining good relationships. The question is critical, and by critical I understand that is being applied to the business world. A self managed individual should be more valuable to a company than a good relationship individual. Self management assures, stress and time management, assertiveness, self awareness and creative thinking, just to mention a few characteristics. So as far as being more business critical, this is my answer.

Hiram, Thank you for sharing. How specifically do you feel each plays a role in managing?
Dr. Jean Norris

Self-management skills are a paramount for relationship skills to be valid. There is no way to manage a business or personal relationship properly if one does not have the ability to self manage. One has to be self aware of their own attributes in order to build cohesive and productive personal and business relationships.

Self-management skills & Relationship Skills Both are equally important.
It is critical to build and practice both equally to maintain a balance.

Jackie, We agree. How have each of these skills played a role in your work?
Dr. Jean Norris

Kary, Interesting point of view! It sounds like you think they both have equal importance, is that correct?
Dr. Jean Norris

Self-Management Skills are extremely important; this is actually one of the most important qualities of a Manager. if we have Self management skills, our relationship skills at work becomes a piece of cake.
Having Self Management Skill means to be able to listen and support your staff and show with actions that you know how to make the right decision at all times.

NELLY, I am curious and want to make sure I understand :) Are you saying that self-management skills are more important than relationship skills? If yes, what importance do you feel lies with having strong relationship skills?
Dr. Jean Norris

both skills are equally importat. I believe that self managment skills are the foundation in creating good values, communication skills,and emotional stability, this will prepare us in developing better relationships with each other.,and how we focus our energy as we move through life.

Sign In to comment