Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Without…visible results, leadership never endures… . Conversely, leaders who achieve
results but lack integrity, character, and values face a different challenge: winning the
support necessary for long-term performance. (Ulrich et al., 2000)

Sub-criteria by which leadership is evaluated are:
• Leaders develop the mission, vision and values and are role models of a culture of
excellence
• Leaders are personally involved in ensuring the organization’s management
system is developed, implemented and continuously improved
• Leaders are involved with customers, partners and representatives of society
• Leaders motivate, support and recognize the organization’s people
Leadership also includes:
• Stimulating and encouraging empowerment, innovation and creativity
• Aligning organizational structure to support delivery of policy and strategy
• Supporting and engaging in activities that aim to improve the environment and
the organization’s contribution to society
• Personally communicating the organization’s mission, vision, values, policy and
strategy, plans, objectives and targets to people
Effective leadership results in a high degree of satisfaction that we are doing or achieving
something worthwhile, to ourselves, to the organization we work for, and to the
society we live in: in this way leadership has a spiritual dimension. Leadership is both
extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic leadership is leadership provided by another person,

Terra,
Great observation & great application of negotiation concepts to everyday use. Too often we relegate these skills to negotiating a deal in a boardroom rather than in our dailiy interactions.
Ryan

Susan,
Could not agree with you more! I think it is interesting that many of us want to ignore the "politics" that exist in organizations but like it or not, it's there. I feel servant leadership is an excellent approach. Many feel this means being a doormat, but actually it is the idea of meekness or power under control. Always seek the higher ground.
Ryan

You have nailed the concepts behind the "positive" forms of leadership that have gained in popularity over the last few years. Beginnign with Burns' work on transforming (later transformational) leadership many have turned their attention on leadership that truly transforms & helps all to feel that we are doing or achieving something worthwhile. Excellent observations.
Ryan

You use negotition skills for simple to complex things every day. I was actually a little suprised once I started keeping track. It can be convincing your boss to let you do a specific task to convincing your students of the value of doing their homework and showing up to class every day. The key is to know both sides of the issue and be able to talk intelligently about it. Do your own homework and come to the table with your research in hand.

You are absolutely right. I especially like your summation of knowing both sides of the issue & being able to talk intelligently about it. This not only prepares you but demonstrates to the other party that you have taken the time to understand where they are coming from.
Ryan

A huge one in our organization is dealing with differences. Involving the complexity of humans since we are a school. We use a lot of integrative negotion to achieve the maximum benefit for all involved to provide the best interest of administration, staff, faculty and students.

One of the most important is listening. Another would be to know what the bottom line is.

Yes, preparation, knowing "the other side", and being credible are all components of being a good negotiator. I particularly recognize the importance of taking emotion out of the equation and separating personal from negotiating issues.

I would rather negotiate someone I can rely on or trust. Because I am more emotional, I would tend to work better with those I trust.

Good call. In addition to listening, I would add truly seeking to understand the employees' points of view.
Ryan

Excellent point & to turn it around, the people you are negotiating with probably feel the same way. So very crucial to build trust.
Ryan

While it is important not to let our emotions run away with us it is also important to acknowledge their presence & even the important role that they can play in these situations. They can often be a good indicator to us of what is happening in the negotiation. But you are absolutely right that they must be watched & managed.
Ryan

sometimes students want to try and negotiate their grade. I find they try to use several of these techniques.

I have definitely been there myself. Definitely important that an instructor is aware of the negotiation tactics so they are prepared to engage in a good conversation/discussion with their students on this topic.

How else do you see yourself using negotiation tactics on a regular basis?

Ryan

My position involves management of the practical area in our school, where the labs and equipment are located. Often times, my direct reports have issues with students who are trying to do things in the lab outside of what we suggest and sometimes in contrast to our expectations and requirements. We have to align organizationa goals with those of the students in these situations so as to correct behavior while still appreciating their excitement to do more.

Great example of negotiating in a "non-traditional" setting. Yet the skills are still very needed.

Ryan

In my capacity I frequently deal with student concerns and interface also with parents. Issues may be academic or disciplinary. Emotions often run high. Most often I am involved with integrative negotiation. The most important skill is listening, questioning and engaging. This is essential to building trust and to achieving acceptance.

In my experience as a salesman, most of which was retail oriented, I learned that active listening was crucial for two reasons: 1. potential clients will tell you what is important to them and 2. will help you overcome their objections if they get cold feet.

I will underline all of this with a saying that is as true as the day is long. "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

If you actively listen and display your sincerity, you will negotiate successfully in most situations.

David,
Great points. I have found it useful in these situations to be sure I stick with objective facts in describing what is going on. It's not that I am uncaring (I completely agree with you on listening, questioning, engaging) but I have found this helpful when talking about behaviors. Too often when I describe behaviors I am project my interepretation onto it, rather than saying here is what's happening, let's discuss why & how to resolve.
Ryan

Sign In to comment