Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree with Terra, our job as managers is to negotiate with our employees for a positive outcome. Most every interaction of management involves some type of negotiation skill.

I agree with Terra's comment on 5/8/10 at 7:52 AM. With the daily management of my employes, I like to start with identifying the problem or goal, then I strive to have the instructor take on owenership. Now it is time to start the negotiation process. I find that even with quality coaching, good negotiation skills are required.

Absolutely & by listening actively & hearing what most concerns them, we can demonstrate how what we are offering helps meet those needs. Or work to find an even better solution. Great points.
Ryan

Darryl,
Absolutely right. Once agreement is had that there is a problem or area of concern, not the effective manager relies on those strong negotiating skills to come to develop a good action plan in partnership with the employee.
Ryan

The negotiator should be able to separate personal issues when negotiating and identify the interest of all parties involved. This will allow them to develop and create options in negotiating techniques.

Nelson,
I think you make a great point about the need to separate personal issues. This can be a significant issue if you allow those personal feelings (of any kind) to interfere in the negotiation phase.
Ryan

I find that it is important to be patient and calm during negotiation. Determining the win/win is also extremely important, especially when the organization has many valuable employees.

Yes, cool, calm & collected. Emotions will be present during negotiations, but the more we can learn to effectively manage them the more effective we will be at negotiating.
Ryan

Communication and listening skills are on the top of the list. The other thing to avoid which I see so often is the temptation to read into what the other person is saying, then people go on the defensive. Usually I find that the person who does this is taking things personally, who lacks confidence, and who avoids change. In this day and age of political correctness, you must be careful not so much about what you say but how you say it so people are not offended. All parties need to be straightforward and not play with words when trying to bring your point across.

Confidence is important. You don't want to show desperation on your face when you need something. On the other hand, if you make a faux pas and it is not critical to your negotiation strategy, laugh at yourself. I find that this sometimes takes the pressure off and actually help build on your confidence. Also, know the difference between confidence and arrogance.

Christine,
great points made here. Listening is key & as you said with that listening understanding where the other person is coming from.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like what Stephen Covey stated about listening. He said we are able to turn a "transactional opportunity into a transformational opportunity" when we listen correctly.

Stephen,
yes, by good listening we can tell what is really most important to the other party & find common ground from there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

when leading employees and managing daily operations is important to set a positive tone with opening remarks, discuss your expectations, offer information

Aimet,
yes, laying it out at the start is key to success.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Another key aspect of negotiating I don't see mentioned yet is knowing when the use of emotions is appropriate. Generally, in the school world, the use of emotions, particularly negative, would not be appropriate when negotiating with managers or when students are trying to negotiate with the employee. In addition, it is important to remember that it is best to negotiate with the person who has the ability to make the decision. Since students do not have the final control over their grades, and grades are black and white, I don't see that it would be necessary to do anything more than listen and explain to students about their grades. However, this is different than negotiating with them.

Sign In to comment