Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Kathleen,
this is definitely true. An adversarial approach generally does not work well at all.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I listen to what they have to say and I make sure I take into consideration what they are bringing to the table. If I do not agree with it right away, I give them examples of why I feel it may not be a good idea.

cindy,
I think demonstrates the importance of explaining & understanding.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that knowing and understanding the issues on both sides of the negotiation is vitally important. I believe that the negotiator who has not researched the issue can loose their creditability. I also think that it is important to keep emotions at check at the door. Being calm and showing the want to look at options will help escalation of emotions during a negotiation.

I agree that listening is key to almost everything in life - especially negotiation. Not only listening with your ears, but paying attention to what is not said - body language is important as well. As said in the video clip during this training "2 ears and 1 mouth - listen twice as much".

Noreen,
and by researching & knowing both sides we have a greater chance of controlling those emotions. As I understand the other party, I can see why they feel/think the way they do & so I better understand them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Noreen,
and by researching & knowing both sides we have a greater chance of controlling those emotions. As I understand the other party, I can see why they feel/think the way they do & so I better understand them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Open discussion and not letting emotions completely take over keep a positive negotiating relationship.

Joshua,
this is so true. We need to be aware of our emotions, but not let them dominate & control.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Trying to understand what this deal or dispute means to the other party. Good listening skills, empathy and a willingness to compromise are also needed. Having a clear understanding of what you want from the deal is essential for using these skills in a positive way.

Kim,
I think trying to understand the other's perspective is key, as too often we limit ourselves to our own experience/perspective & then we can easily villanize the other person.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Going in with a positive and pleasant attitude helps. It sets a good tone for negotiation. Plus, a healthy attitude makes a good foundation for long-term relationships.

Also, if you show that you're respectful of what the other party has to say, then they respect you back, which means that they actually tend to listen and consider to what you bring to the table.

I think it's important to stay professional in all regards and not let emotions get the best of you when trying to negotiate an offer or a deal.

Agnes,
yes, stay focused on the issue at hand & the goals for you & the other party.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that having accurate facts about your position and presenting them in a calm, organized manner will go a long way in your negotiating process.

In any relationship you must be a good listener...Without hearing you have nothing to discuss, negotiate or add too.

Kathy,
and the key is really listening & not just hearing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment