Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I completely agree. What type of asking questions do you feel work the best?
Ryan

I use a lot of observation and that gives me first hand information. And then I listen, it helps in confirming what I have observed. Then, I talk to the individual to prepare for the coaching process. I believe the most important communication skill is listening because I hear both the verbal and non-verbal signs.

Before leading a coaching session I will observe the employee and the behavior or skill that the coaching will seek to improve. Next I will let the employee know that I would like to work on coaching regarding that behavior or skill so that they are prepared to participate. On the first meeting I will try to stick to broad open ended questions so that they best describe their perspective and possible solutions to improve. In a future meeting I will be more directive reguarding steps to take and will follow up regularly afterwards.

Need to find out first whether coaching is needed. Asses the issue, offer some suggestions, set a goal and set the follow up meeting. Make sure active listening also has been applied.

When preparing to coach I try to observe the behavior in order to understand the situation. Often this leads me to as trusted colleagues in confidence (as I am new to coaching). Then I like to have a one-on-one with each of my main staff members. This happen regularly and my staff is comfortable bring me issues and working together to solve them or asking my opinion on them. This is where I question and listen actively.

I believe the most important communication skill in coaching is listening, well, active listening. It is essential to understanding the true situation, motives, etc and it builds trust.

Brandon
I agree that listening is so important. Especially level 3 or "global listening." This is the type of listening that occurs when I, as the coach, has completely removed myself from the situation & I am listening to the other person with all that I am. In this way I can best serve my employees. In my own leadership experience over the years I have found this very powerful.
Ryan

Interesting topic. Can we try to relate this to students instead of employees? I spend more time with students.

In that case, it starts with what the needs of the student. Can I help them with that? Are they open to my coaching?

Then, an assessment of their skills, strengths and weaknesses.

These have to be worked through and identified with the student. Questions designed to get them to openly evaluate what works, and what does not, along with good active listening, plays an important part.

Active listening is the most important step. By allowing information to come in uninterrupted, except when clarification is needed, you get a better picture. Waiting to form opinions or impressions means you have more clarity in those opinions.

Listening is the key, and it also shows your sincere interest in the student.

Lastly, what are the goals? How can I help the student set and meet their goals. Define these, and the action steps needed to get their, as well as work on a commitment from the student to do what is needed.

Mark,
Thank you for applying this to working with students. I have long felt that coaching is very applicable in this area as well. In fact, in some languages "leader" and "teacher" are the same words.
Ryan

I make sure I have some information on the situation before meeting with the worker or student. I try to have some background information so I know which route is appropriate for that person--after all, some situations work better than others for some people, so it's important to know who you're dealing with.

So true. Too many approach these situations with the proverbial hammer where every problem is a nail. By learning more about the other person we can better tailor our style to best help them.
Ryan

I really feel that the most important part of the coaching process is active listening. If you are not able to listen actively to an employees concerns/ideas/feedback you compromise the integrity of the coaching session. Building trust is also critical. I think that it is important to build employees up so that the are open to the coaching as an opportunity to find greater success.

Observation is key and also survey results at the end of the class. Open discussion is useful to discover the reason for survey comments. Understanding why a protocol or lack of was followed is important in accessing decision making skills. Obviously if 2 or more employees are struggling with a issue....the whole group can benefit from a meeting. Otherwise, one on one review/chat allows a relaxed atmosphere.

when coaching a person be careful not to tell them how to do their job but what end result you expect, (the student needs to preform a task). As an instructor their own teaching methods could be extremly differnt from the next. this would be a great thing due to the students experince would not be mono tone from one insturctor to the next.
listing skills is by far the most important communcation skill that you can have. if you did all the talking the employee would not gain any thing from the meeting.

First, I will observe for few days then I will ask them for the appropriate time to have a meeting, by doing that I am giving them a sense of agreement and respect. The most important communication skill is building trust and that might not happen on the first session but will build up eventually.

Amani

Amani,
Great point about building trust. One thing to keep in mind is that while we as leaders may have the best intentions, some of these folks may have been beat up in the past by other managers. We need to recognize that & make sure we are doing all we can to build that trust with them.
Ryan

I address the situation in a timely manner. I meet with the direct report and start the coaching session with some of the positive things they are doing. I then bring up the situation that needs to be addressed. I ask the direct report how they think their presentation went and what they feel they could have done differently. The communication skills that I feel are most effective are being an active listener and avoiding distractions.

I sincerely appreciate the application of the coaching process to the student/teacher relationship. Working in higher education, leaders not only coach employees, but also have direct connections to their students. In the same manner, coaches must have measurable standards and be specific. Indeed, active listening is key in setting and achieving goals...objectives that are dependant upon class objectives as well as individual aspirations.

Yes & I would add to this the ability to make the other person feel very safe in opening up & admitting mistakes, etc. Only when they feel safe in doing this can real learning take place.
Ryan

It is also important that the coach helps the other person to develop their own standards & path for reaching their own goals.
Ryan

I agree that active listening is so very imortant in the coaching process. I find it so annoying when you can sense when a person is really not listening to you. You can just tell they are thinking about something else. When that happens all communication fails. I know that I, personally, shutdown when someone is not listening to me. I try to stay focused on what the person is saying and respond accordingly. Responding accordingly to me means taking bits of critical information they have given me and giving them feedback on important aspects of that information. I think demonstrating that you are truly sincere helps develop oppourtunities to help your employees grow and become more efficient. This is where the partnership comes in to play. It is highly important to bond with your employee so they are able to trust that you are there to help them be the best they can be.

Sign In to comment