Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

David,
I love your attention on the aspect of listening; too many people separate it from communication when it is definitely a part of the whole.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have been in the position of coaching in an educational situation on several occasions, but without formal training. I will definitely put to practice what I learned!

That sound like a good way of not placing blame on anyone. this way the person that may need some redirecting or coaching doesn't feel attacked. By allowing the person to ask themself is the what i was intending to achieve, is this the impact i wanted to project? By this they would now be open for feedback and direction. now ready to be coached.

I believe that coaching is guiding a person in a manner which helps them dig deep into themselves and improve their performance, regardless if it is on the job or on the sports field. So, the skill a coach should use most is listening, then using the information and insights gained to guide the person to deciding how to overcome whatever obstacle is holding them back.

Linda,
yes, listening is a key skill for an effective coach & leader.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Listening and observing are two important skills to use in the coaching process. After observing the employee and listening during your discussion with the employee, you will understand what coaching approach to use. You may need to show the person what to do or guide the employee through the process or combine both approaches.

Giving an effective feedback is important to the coaching process. With their permission, I usually start with bringing up a situation that occurred, the coachee’s behavior that I’ve observed, and the impact of his/her behavior on people who witnessed the behavior including me. Identifying any situation if coaching will be best at that point, or to wait for another opportunity or a better time to provide coaching.
Once coaching is identified as necessary, I will start with an action plan and schedule a regular meeting to review progress, always keeping a very positive tone during all the meetings. I will be an active listener and will focus on the information that they are providing me, and just follow up with some probing questions to keep them engaged in the coaching process, and there is total understanding on both sides. I will check with the coachee as to what steps are working and what's not, and make the necessary adjustment to meet the desired outcome.

When i want to coach an employee, I set up a time and date to sit with them and speak with them about concerns that they may have. I feel that listening is one of the good communicaiton skills that is important in coaching.

Bindu,
this is an excellent point regarding listening. Also, the need to set up a time & make sure that both individuals are ready for the conversation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I first listen to the communication and look closely at the process. I then look for what might be missing. Once I have that view point I contact that employee and ask them what they would offer to make the communication and process be complete. I suggest only as needed. This way the employee has an opportunity to solve their own delema, and if they don't I can gently guide them along and praise them for solving the problem themselves.

David,
this is a great strategy as it allows the employee to own the solution to their own challenges.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe that as important as the verbiage used in coaching are the non-verbals or body language. Also the objectivity of the coach, not allowing his/her personal feelings to interfere with the teaching moment.
Listening is a very important and least used means of therapeutic communication. Often times the coach is so fired up about what knowledge to impart to the coachee that they forget to listen and maybe glean very important information about what is not being said.

I believe this approach can be used in many other applications. Describing the behavior instead of pointing out the "mistake" of the coachee, reduces the pointed finger and blame game scenario. How the unwanted behavior/attitude affected the group is another way to launcha coaching moment; also how the coachee thinks this unwanted or unacceptable behavior can be rectified. People become more willing to be part of change when they are part of it.

Esperanza,
great point! We do need to make sure our nonverbals are communicating what we wish & also we need to make sure that we truly listen & aren't just waiting for our chance to talk.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Esperanza,
yes, this is spot on. Sticking to the facts of the behavior, then explaining how it is perceived by others is a great way to reduce the defensiveness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My boss/mentor has taught me that all feelings/emotions have to be left aside to be able to coach someone as well as to give them feedback. Also to ask the questions "are they getting their job done?" if not, what needs to be done to get them there. If the employee needs more training, if they are struggling with a task and won't ask for help... As a supervisor you have to communicate with your employees and make sure they understand that you are there to help them and work together as a team to obtain the company's goals.

The process I use is three-fold: Observation, Investigation, Application; this process is integrated, giving attention to the organic processes and variables that come into play in the development of our lives.

First, I take in continual observation of my coachee from three sources (live, from others, the outcome). Second, I am constantly investigating my coachees performance while looking for ways to open up discussion and assist in further learning opportunities that would foster enhanced personal growth. Third, I am always looking for ways to link everything in the coaching process to a practical outcome that will not only solidify the learning, but will further the growth process.

Michael,
this is a great approach as you can point to specifics & you are tying it to important outcomes.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The process I follow in preparing and leading a coaching session begins after consistent evaluation revealing the specific area of improvement to be addressed. Once the issue is identified a coaching session with agenda outline is facilitated. SMART action items, designed to develop are created by myself and the employee. These goals are then monitored on a regular basis, and if the opportunity arises specific things may be addressed on the fly.
The most important communication skills, regardless of where you are in the process, are listening and clear expectations with measurable action items to best assist them in reaching the desired goal.

Cynthia,
I would also add good questioning skills. It's very important that we ask good questions that will help the coachee reach decisions & goals on his/her own, rather than us dictating them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment