Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really try to set a positive tone. Then I like to ask a lot of questions and let the employee feel heard and understood. I find that when this backdrop has been set, the employee is much more open to feedback and potential correction. I think listening, positive feedback, and humor are some of the best skills to have during the coaching process. They allow a potentially uncomfortable situation to become easier and result in a positive outcome.

I couldn't agree more. Working with students is coaching every day. Helping them feel understood, successful, and motivated is part of every instructor/coach's job.

Dennis ,
this is so true & it is key that we truly listen to our students & try to understand where they are coming from.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Set clear expectations for results and let your people find their own best way to get the job done.Give people as much responsibility as they can handle, then support them. People grow from being stretched.

Jason,
this is an excellent description of what coaching should be. I don't want to provide the path & answers for my folks, but support them in discovering their own way.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Be prepared for the coaching session. Observe the behavior yourself. Formulate your coaching plan yourself. Ask others only after you have observed and developed a coaching plan. Coaching plan: Goals/objective and proposed steps to achieve goals/objectives. What you are doing right and ways to improve.

Communication skills- listening is extremely important. What are they really saying? You may suggest ways to improve, but listen to the coachee. He/she might have a better way that would make more sense.

Coaching is a two way process. Common goal or common agreement. The coachee must buy
into the solution or create the solution/steps himself/herself.

Jim Naeher

I utilize many of the techniques that were presented in this lesson in coaching other faculty members in my role as Director of General Eductation. It is important that the coach estabishes a positive emotional climate so that the coachee feels relaxed and so that they will be more receptive to the process. Always try to begin with something positive-what they have done well. Be specific and cite examples. During class observations take good notes. I use script taking methods, not only including the observees comments, but also responses from students. I ask open ended questions, "What do you think went well in today's lesson?" Give specific examples as to how the lesson can be improved. "I noticed that you did not allow the students enough response time after you asked a question. You might want to allow 10-15 seconds before answering the question or calling on another student." Estabilish goals for improvement and set a time to follow up. The strategies in this lesson were precise and methodical.

Jeff,
this is a nice, very focused method of providing feedback & coaching.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that the biggest thing is to listen first and foremost. Do not judge the employee, get angry or criticize. I know I have been in a situation where I am giving an opinion or a creating a new process and get criticized by my supervisor for it. And sometimes felt they were angry with me, but I think it was because they felt I was outshining them. You have to make the person feel comfortable , so they will talk to you and get to their full potential.

Nikki,
yes, by listening we stand a better chance of hearing why a person is doing what they're doing & so can understand them better.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As an instructor, my coaching is almost always informal, and on the spot, so there are a few things that I feel are important to this situation.

First, that I have my students' trust in the thought that I want to help them, and not to judge them.

Second, that I'm making eye contact with them, and being clear about observing their behavior, why, and how they can do better (and often, I demonstrate basic skills that I want to see done more correctly). Through this process, I try to speak slowly, and look for their acknowledgement that they both understand, and agree with the coaching.

Throughout my day, I encounter these simple coaching opportunities all the time. During my students' production, I am actively coaching the whole class at the same time, keeping track of everyone as they practice. If they know that I'm present, watching, and sincere about helping them, and about what we're doing, they most often take to any coaching that is well-delivered.

In preparation for a coaching session that is focused or more formal, I have a list of what things I would like to discuss with the coachee regarding their goals, or any challenges they may have. Also making sure I give opportunity for the coachee to ask any questions that they may have. During coaching I believe listening to the coachee without interuption and making eye contact is very important. It lets them know that I am actually invested and interested in what they have to say.

Dr. Lindsay,
so true regarding allowing the coachee to talk & really listening to him/her.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am a Technical Team Leader in my small department. I am going to use this ML118 over and over now as I am starting to see what habits that are good and what I think I have been doing that could have the effect of not coaching the best that I can do. I am not a manager over my co workers I just manage the room and contents. But I want to this next year get my team in more alignment and with this corse covers will help me in a very positive area. Teaching students has gotten easier over the years but now coaching team members is going to be a fun learning event for me!

it is important to remember that coaching is a partnership which requires cultivating a positive emotional bond. Some of the process while leading a coaching session is to have a positive tone while concentrating on opportunities for personal development of the coachee. A great part of the process is sharing suggestions and observations. Lastly gaining coachee's agreement to create action plan and set up a follow-up review date.
I believe an open communication is most important because it allows both parties to kow and understand each other's thought process.

Philip,
this is a great point & we should remember along with this, that we may not click with everyone for coaching. For some of those we lead, it may be better if they found a coach in someone else.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think it is very important to be as specific as possible. I try to have specific details in regards to the coaching session. Being too general can often times leave the coachee confused about what the actual goals/needs are of the session.

I make a list of the specific areas discussed in the coaching good and "needs improvement" and email it to the coachee. If there are any questions, there is always a check list to reference. The feedback from my direct reports has been positive, and I find this helpful in future coaching sessions.

Jennie,
yes, especially if we are describing a behavior; we cannot speak in generalities.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

One of the key elements of my approach is to never jump in at the first urge to coach someone. When I feel the idea coming, I do a bit of self-check: What is really motivating me? Do I want to control the situation? Am I sure that I'm not taking an interest for personal reasons? If I'm not sure of questions like this, the coaching is doomed from the start. Worse, it could be interpreted as intrusive and inappropriate.
In terms of communication, it's so hard to always say the right thing in a conversation. One thing I try to do is to avoid using any personal pronouns at all. So it's not about me; it's not all about the other person; it's all about the common goal.

Sign In to comment