Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Team Leader

Question is “believe” or not. If the word believe implicates “to hold an opinion” then I have my opinion - I do not believe. There are a lot of people one is unable to train at all by different reasons.

Then question – “can be trained to be a Team Leader” – already implies that not everybody can be a Team Leader. So, again, I do not believe that anybody can be trained to be a Team Leader at least by mentioned above reason.

If there are other reasons? I am quite sure there are say being not needed type of personality, psychologically not matching to the profile, etc.

I think a more apropriate question would be "How much training?"

Given enough time, resources, and motivation, anyone can be trained to do almost anything.

Some of us are more naturaly equiped to lead, but we have learned those skills from someone in our life. As we develop personally and professionally, those who desire to lead automatically pick up and incorperate the leadership qualities we see and admire in others.

Some, simply desire to follow, and not asume responsability of leadership. Does that mean that these people could not or would not be able to learn how to lead a team? I think not, but they surely would not be as effective a leader as those of us who desire to lead, and have sought to learn how.

I believe that most people who aspire to become a leader, already possess many of the traits that are required for effective or quality leadership.

Those who do not aspire to be leaders generally lack some of those traits.

However, I do believe that becoming an effective and high quality leader is a process that is learned over time. This is learned through making mistakes, observing other leaders and through coaching/mentoring by your direct leader.

So long story short, I do believe that those who really want to be a good leader can be "trained" to do the job. In the end, leadership is a set of skills, and like all skills, they are learned.

As expressed above, each individual has their own natural abilities or traits that can help expedite the "training" or learning process.

David,

This is an interesting perspective. I agree that people can be trained to effectively complete the tasks that are required of the position. An alternate perspective to think about is that there is a reason why job descriptions ask for a "Manager of XXX" and not a "Leader of XXX." This is because managers can be trained to do a task and to supervise and motivate others to do a task. However, in my opinion leadership is a characteristic that people can strengthen but if it is not an innate characteristic for that person, they won’t be a successful leader. To be a successful leader, people need to be inspired to follow you. No followers = no leader. In my experience, people that have an innate ability to lead, improve their leadership style by watching other leaders and receiving coaching like you suggest. Those that aren’t cut out to be leaders can still be good managers.

Great discussion!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Jamie,

I also agree that the leader characteristic has to be present within the individual for them to be successful. I feel that individuals without this characteristic would often not have any interest in becoming a leader.

I feel that the clarification of a what a manager is vs a leader is also helpful to this discussion. Our company often refers to managers as leaders, so I took the term a little too loosely for this discussion.

I do believe that leaders are born and strengthen their abilities over time. Managers can be trained to do specific tasks, but only a leader can develop their staff to reach higher levels of performance.

To me it is like asking if anyone can be trained to paint portraits, or to play the piano.

The answer is yes.

However, certain tallents are essential to become fully proficient.

Often we do not know that we have hidden tallents, but more often we naturally gravitate to that which we are naturally inclined.

So, well yes, sort of....... :-)

David,

Your post made me smile. It reminds me of the quote that states, "Great leaders do not flock together; you find them one at a time." Many people can be trained to be a manager, but it is hard to make a manager a leader if that person does not have the innate abilities to lead.

Nice analogies.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I believe anybody can as long as they believe or want to be a leader than they can. If a member of a team has no desire to be a leader than ther is little you can do to train them in becoming a leader.

Kevin,
That is an interesting position. Do you have any research that you found that shows that leadership qualities are innate and not a learned skill?

Dr. Jamie Morley

According to the lecture material the team leader has (3) roles; initiator of processes that promote team development and performance, model desired behaviors, coach the team to improve performance. To continue the leader needs to be able to; set directions, communicate well, to give and accept feedback, have high standards of performance, have a positive attitude toward team work, and experience with team based work.

While I believe that most of us are teachable - team leader should want to lead the team. In the classroom I often put students in team, either that they choice, or I choose for them. A leader will naturally surface - however, they may not have the best qualities as listed above, as the team sponsor in this case, I would mentor them. Sometimes I find that a person that rises to the head of the group may be aggressive and loud and may not necessarily put the group above their own desires to be a leader.

I dont think that everyone has leadership skills. Some are gifted with these skills others can not handle the role as a leader. Some take the authority and over do it.

Noreen,

Good insights! Often times, I make the determination about whether to select the leaders or let them self-select based on a couple of criteria. First, how long is the assignment? If it is a long duration, like an entire semester, it is more critical to select people that have a propensity to lead or are willing to take your direction. Another factor is how much time you have to mentor the person. If it is not a leadership course, and the curriculum is already jam packed with learning objectives, you may not have the time or ability to coach a new leader like you would like. Lastly, I look at the result if the team does not succeed. If the team’s project impacts part of a grade vs. an entire course grade or impacts a small project at work as opposed to one that has major financial implications, I am more inclined to allow leaders to try and fail and try again. As the leader, you need to know that you have the time to mentor and train new leaders if you give them a higher stakes project. If not, it is likely to impact the morale of the other team members.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Cindy,
There are two schools of thought – one that says leaders are born and one that says that leaders are made. There is a great quote by Russell Ewing that sums it up. “A boss creates fear, a leader confidence. A boss fixes blame, a leader corrects mistakes. A boss knows all, a leader asks questions.” Sometimes, people are trust into a leadership role whether they want to or not. Based on what you have learned in the class, what types of actions should a people in that situation do to ensure that they are the best leader possible?

Dr. Jamie Morley

I don't think that everyone can be trained to be a leader. All people have certain talents and leading is one of them.
I do believe that people who have the natural direction to be a leader can be trained in being a better leader and learn to refine their natural ability. Their talents can be developed with the right training.

Kathleen,

There are two schools of thought – one that says leaders are born and one that says that leaders are made. There is a great quote by Russell Ewing that sums it up. “A boss creates fear, a leader confidence. A boss fixes blame, a leader corrects mistakes. A boss knows all, a leader asks questions.” Sometimes, people are thrust into a leadership role whether they want to or not. Based on what you have learned in the class, what types of actions should a people in that situation do to ensure that they are the best leader possible?

Dr. Jamie Morley

I do believe that anybody can be trained to be a Team Leader, but not everybody will be effective as a Team Leader. There are many various characteristics of a Team Leader that need to be considered, and no one leader will be effective in all circumstances. A person who is effective in leading a team in a crisis or catastrophy may not be very effective during a time of peace or a static environment. I recall reading John Maxwell's book The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership and finding many of the points in his book very striking and true. For instance, the Law of Process is useful for many leaders for it demonstrates that many good outcomes are predicated on the many important steps that preceed the outcome. The Law of Momentum focuses on the energy that follows achievements and successes of a team and while I do believe that anybody can be taught leadership skills, there are many intangible qualities that may make a Team Leader more, or less, effective. These qualities may include rhetorical devices, listening skills, critical thinking skills, time management skills, and communication skills. Many of these qualities take long-term development and include many habits incorporated over many years of learning and growing. Therefore, while I do believe that anybody can be trained to be a Team Leader, it usually takes some additional special qualities to be a Team Leader who is consistently effective and efficient. One of these qualities is true humility, for many times a haughty leader does not have many followers due to his or her annoying and/or repulsive personality of self-loathing.

Thomas,

I agree with your assessment. Much like athletes, anybody can be taught the mechanics of a sport, but it takes a person with innate talents and gifts to excel. Management is the same way. One of my favorite books is called “Flight of the Buffalo.” The book compares the leadership strategies of Buffalo and Geese. Buffalo herds have one leader and when the herd is in danger the buffalos surround the leader. Unfortunately, if the leader gets killed, the herd scatters and is decimated because none of the other buffalo were ever trained to be the leader. Geese fly in a V formation. Every goose is taught how to be at the front of the V and lead the flock. If the leader is hurt, injured, or tired, another goose takes the lead role. Organizations are very similar. The best managers and leaders should always be “training their replacement” as opposed to guarding information.

I appreciate your reference to the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. It is a great reference that I hope some of your collegues will read.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I do believe that anyone can be trained to be a leader, the issue would be determining the method of teaching needed to train the individual.

Ranee,

I agree with you that people can receive training to bring out or strengthen their leadership qualities. People can also be taught the fundamentals of management and supervision, as well as how to follow and implement policies and procedures. What training do you think would be required to create a great leader that would inspire his or her team members?

Dr. Jamie Morley

I believe that time and experience makes Team Leaders. Also, we learn leadership skills from others in our lives. Presently at my job I am in a new position as a team leader and have met some resistance. I find that the employees that do not like change are the ones that resist the most. Any ideas?

Sign In to comment