Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Gari,

I have similar issues with the ability that everyone has the abiity to be trained as a leader.
The role has so many dynamics to it that even if you were to train someone it takes out the biggest component; which is being able to be a good leader. I have had many bosses who were micro-managers and they felt that their way was the only way. That method worked for them but it was not the best way when working with their staff. By implying that everyone can be a leader with the proper training seems to me that you are not seeking out someone with the characteristic's needed but just settling for putting someone into the leader role.

Pamela,

Good insights! To be a leader, you need followers. To get people to follow you, the leader needs to possess a vision and traits that people aspire to. A manager can manage anybody that he or she is assigned to manage. Whether or not that person has the qualities to be a leader will not be seen for awhile.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Pamela,

Congratulations on your promotion. Because you have the foresight to reflect every week on the issues, and then formulate ideas how to improve, shows me that you DO indeed have leadership qualities. Be sure to involve your team in those discussions as well and formalize your ideas in meeting minutes or memorandum so that they won’t be forgotten. Nicely done!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Dr. Morley,

I appreciate your comments and I am always looking for practical applications on ways to better myself as a person in a leadership role. I am so exicited to apply what I have learned from this course and I am especially looking forward to creating a team charter!

Pamela

Dr. Morley,

I appreciate your insight to my thread! We do take notes currently but we need to do a better job in reviewing the minutes from the prior meeting in order for us to see areas of improvement needed and also proven areas of success.

Pamela

Pamela,

Good plan, Pamela! Best of luck.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Pamela,

Setting up a team charter is a worthwhile activity. I am glad the course helped. It has been a pleasure having you in class.

Dr. Jamie Morley

No, I believe that it is a quality people all ready have. Some people are not leaders, you just have to find their right skill set.

I believe that anybody can if they have the skill set to be one and they one to be one. It is all about your positive thinking.

I agree with this some are made and some just need to have the proper taining to become a leader.

I do not believe that just "anyone" can be a team leader. I agree with others that a leader has to want it. I also believe that a leader is only as strong as their team. If the team fails, thats a reflection on the leadership. We praise teachers when students perform well academically as it directly reflects on them, same as the leader. I personally perform well with minimal guidance and a good understanding of the goal or task. I learn more from a leader whom leads by example; do not teach but coach. In my opinion, leadership is a quality and cannot be taught. Either you have what it takes to lead a team or you play on a team.
Marlene

Karen,

Interesting perspective. What specific traits or skills do you think are inherent that cannot be taught or learned?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Cindy,

Positive thinking and a desire to success are important. Besides those characteristics, what skill set do you think people need in order to be a good leader?

Dr. Jamie Morley

cindy,

I think what you are saying is that some people are more naturally inclined to be leaders, while others need time and training to develop leadership qualities. Either way, anybody can be a leader. Am I interpreting your post correctly?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Marlene,

Excellent, insightful post Marlene!

As you point out, there are two schools of thought – one that says leaders are born and one that says that leaders are made. Regardless of your opinion, I agree with your assessment that a leader is only as strong as the team. It is amazing how the strictest teachers typically get the best student results. This is not because they rule the classroom by fear, but because typically they model the leadership qualities that students need to succeed in class and in the workplace. Traits like organization, preparation, determination, and pride in one’s work.

There is a great quote by Russell Ewing that sums it up. “A boss creates fear, a leader confidence. A boss fixes blame, a leader corrects mistakes. A boss knows all, a leader asks questions.” Having a coach, leader or a teacher is a much better model for most people than having a “boss.”

Dr. Jamie Morley

Yes some are in born leaders and others may need to be trained but either way they can become on.

I think the person needs to understand all different types of personalities and also needs to see how these different types of personalities can work together to make a team and be a good leader by working with people and getting the best from them to do the job. It usually is not an easy task and I generally deal with it on a daily basis.

cindy,

You are right Cindy; It is not an easy task. You say that you deal with it on a daily basis. What are some examples of strategies you use to engage different personalities?

Dr. Jamie Morley

cindy,

I agree with you that people can receive training to bring out or strengthen their leadership qualities. People can also be taught the fundamentals of management and supervision, as well as how to follow and implement policies and procedures. That training can help them be a better manager. Inspiring a people requires both. Do you agree?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Based on the course material, additional readings, and personal experience, I believe that not anyone can be a team leader. As sited in the text for the course some essential skills a team leader should possess are:
• Negotiation
• Mediate conflicts
• Ability to coach team members
• Good communication skills

Being able to negotiate and mediate conflicts requires an individual with the correct personality traits. People who prefer to serve others before themselves help to solve conflicts and negotiate compromise while preserving harmony. In times of conflict the accepting approach can be advantageous to both parties and contribute to team unity. However, not every individual has the personality which will be others and team harmony ahead of his/her individual needs. Dale Eilerman (2006) noted “These traits were probably ingrained during childhood and may be reinforced by family, religious or other values. Individuals who have a tendency to be accommodating prefer the harmony, good will and reciprocity that is often associated with this behavior trait and feel that it serves them well most of the time”. (1)

The ability to coach team members requires a number of traits, including coaching experience, track record, personal style, culture fit, professional standards, knowledge of organization, and soft factors, such as trust and relationship fit. (Fielden, 2005)(2) Considering the factors listed, not anyone could act as a coach. Knowledge of the organization structure, coaching experience, and track record are skills which takes time to develop.

Effective communication involves the words we choose, how we say the words, and our body language. Each one of these components of communications is critical. The words we use and how we utilize them can either help or hinder the delivery of information. Many individuals do not have the ability to find the correct combination of words to properly express ourselves. In addition, body language is accounts for 55 % of what is perceived and understood by others (3). I have come to realize that my body language has resulted in misinformation at times. I have to work hard at maintaining my body language.

Based on the information listed, I would conclude that not everyone can be a team leader. One must have the correct skills, desire, and personality to be an effective team leader.
-----------------------------------------------
(1) Eilerman, Dale 2006 Give and Take - The Accommodating Style in Managing Conflict. Retrieved from http://www.mediate.com/articles/eilermanD5.cfm on 12.03.12.
(2) Dr Sandra Fielden, 2005, Literature review: coaching effectiveness – a summary Retrieved from http://literacy.kent.edu/coaching/information/Research/NHS_CDWPCoachingEffectiveness.pdf on 12.03.12.

(3) Warren, Suzanne and Windle, Rod Communication Skills Retrieved from http://www.directionservice.org/cadre/section4.cfm on 12.03.12

Sign In to comment