Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Roy,

Excellent response. You make some very good points about the importance of being able to create harmony as a leader. Based on the book you referenced, you may also want to read, “Servant Leadership” by Robert Greenleaf. He expounds on the points you make very well!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Not everyone is cut out to be a leader. Yes, leaders can be trained but I beleive it also takes a special talent and a willingness to be a good leader. Leaders need to be able to adapt and be able to handle whatever situation they are put in to.

Stephanie,

You are correct that adaptability is an important trait for a leader to possess. Do you believe that a person can be taught skills to make them more adaptable or do you feel that adaptability is a trait that you are born with?

I look forward to your response.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Do you believe that anybody can be trained to be a Team Leader? Why or why not?

I would have to agree with those who repsonded that while many individuals could be trained for different positions, it won't always mean they will be able to handle the role. We see this a lot when we promote a top performing admissions rep to director of admissions. Although we train them for all the basic skills, they sometimes just don't have the ability to lead,motivate, and coach.

TJ,
the ability to lead,motivate, and coach sound be a key part of a leader's job description and hiring criteria. Just like the technical skills required for the position these "skills" can be learned. It should not be assumed that people automatically have these skills when promoted. If you recognize the persons potential and lack of leadership skills a specific development plan ,monitorng a coaching should be part of the new leaders learning plan.

Ron Obstfeld

This is hard to give a definitive answer to. Can anyone be trained to MANAGE a group of people? Yes. Can anyone be trained to LEAD? I'm not so sure. Not everyone has the personality to lead well and this can make them difficult to follow. Some may choose/try to lead in a way that is too overbearing; almost a dictator in a sense. These people are hard to follow simply because no one likes to be treated like a minion and that's usually how this person "leads" (I put "leads" in quotes because I don't consider that leadership). On the flip side, is the person who has a very passive personality and never really grabs the bull by the horns. This person is hard to follow because they never really give you anything to follow and can be "wishy washy" because they may tend to want to try to please everyone on the team in every situation. It's difficult for this person to be a decision maker and really stand by their decision. I think being a good, well-rounded leader takes a very balanced, personality and a humble approach and those are things that are very difficult to "train" into a person.

Brent,
Leadership is part science and part art. You can learn to manage but not to lead. Leadership skills are usually developed through experience( both good and bad) and through trial and error. Have good role models and mentors are a tremendous asset as you are developing your own style.

Ron Obstfeld

no often we can be trained but to be a leader you have to create the ability in the time of the need
its not a training but a gift or talent that not anybody can do.

I agree. Throughout my years of experience as a manager, and/or team leader, the secret to good team management is being able to see the diamond in the rough, recognizing who can and cannot be molded. For some, if the desire isn't there, you can spend plenty of time on them, but making them a team leader will probablty never come to fruition. The best teams are from leaders who can recognize the qualities in a person, and really expand on them. If I saw potential in someone, and they were hesitant at first, I would offer the opportunity to them, but with frequent assessments, and coaching.

Sign In to comment