Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Involving all team members into the discussion

Everyone has an opinion and I think some people are shy to share their thoughts. But by involvng everyone to participate in the discussion soemtimes this helps reel them into a group discussion.

I totally agree with you. Sometimes is easier to just agree with a coworkes idea instead of bringing everybody's contribution to the table.

Keli,
You should only agree...if you really agree. You should not be looking for what is easier but what most beneficial for the teams learning. Teammates that are shy should be encourage to contribute. This will build their confidence and make the active participants rather than passive receivers.

Ron Obstfeld

I think that the idea of teammates being too shy or in some cases talked over too often by an overspoke team member causes many GREAT ideas not to be heard. I have had situations where it was easier for me to tell the loud spoken team member and have he/she stated it as thought it was their own idea is easier than fight for talk time.

Carla,
Talking over teammate is behavior that should be modified by the team leader. There are a variety of ways to do this....sometimes including this in the "ground rules" discussion at the beginning of the project will do it. Otherwise, I am a strong believer in challenging this behavior - softly - when it occurs. This will set the stage and usually modify this unacceptable behavior.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree as individuals we all have different opinions and ideas that could benefit the good fo the team. I think every team member should be given the chance to participate in discussions and issue an opinion on the task at hand.

You are quite correct. I was recently in a team building activity and I notice that 4 out of 7 people were active participants in the exercise. It absence of the other were very glaring. I thought the only way to get them involved to assign everyone in the team a task and we all had to present our finding and thoughts. This actually helped in improving our productivity as a team.

Jesus ,
I fully agree. The trick is creating an environment that encourages people to participate. Sometimes that means structuring meetings, presentations, etc. that requires active participation rather than passive agreement.

Ron Obstfeld

Philip,
Perfect! Hopefully their behavior has been modified for the future too.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree that some shy away from giving there thoughts. I use to be that person. That is why it is so very important that each individual feel comfortable when on teams.

Luciana,
It is important that you assert yourself to ensure you are an active participant. At first, this will be out of your comfort zone. The more you participate the easier it is. Don't be put off by distractors. Some people like to drive the conversation by being loud, constant interruptions, etc. This behavior does not mean those participants are right. Hopefully the team leader will control this environment. If they don't, you may have to take personal action.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree that it is important to get everyones views on a subject important to the group. I think a technique that will be useful to make sure that all members imput is heard is to acknowledge the more vocal members and then preceed ask for imput from those who appear hesitant or who have not substatntially contributed. Additionally add some info form a previous contribution by the reticent members that was helpful.

Yes it seems taht this is a good way to get particpation. Also once they are used to actively particpating perhaps they will be more comfortable giving input.

Samuel,

You should also continue to encourage participation by asking direct questions or for participants to expand upon comments made by other team members...especially if they can draw on thier own experiences.

Ron Obstfeld

It is easier just to agree, but nothing is accomplished. The team stagnates from a lack of individuality.

Team meetings should be held in a room where the tables are set up so everyone can see each other and the leader.

Any discussion should include input from ALL members. If someone isn't speaking up, the leader should directly ask for their opinion.

Voting can be done anonymously so no one feels that they are "forced" to go along with the rest of the team members.

David,
The leader plays a pivotal role here to ensure positive and productive team interactions and results.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree that including everyone and all opinions into a team discussion is important. As the newest member of a HIGHLY productive and established team it is a bit intimidating to speak up sometimes. I do find myself sitting back an just taking it in oftentimes during meetings and have to make a conscious decision and effort to contribute.

The members of my team are very helpful, though, and our team leader facilitates a comfortable environment for expression.

Amanda,
Great. As you continue to contribute....it should become more comfortable for you. Remember your feelings as you have the opportunity to embrace new team members. You can find ways to make their transition easier.

Ron Obstfeld

I agree that everyone has an opinion. When we have meetings there is always a portion in our meeting where we open the floor to any comments, questions, or concerns. This seems to be effective in getting the groups participation.

Amber,
Great. Just be sensitive to ensure that all members are participating and that this open session is not dominated by a few members.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment