Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In order to ensure that every team member is actively engaged and productive, one must establish a clear direction with a worthwhile purpose. Team members must be selected based on their knowledge, experience, skills, and attitude. The roles and responsibilities of the team members must be apparent. A set of clear rules of behavior must be established and performance oriented tasks and goals must be set immediately. One must encourage members to talk often about the team’s goals; and, utilized the team member’s ideas. One must provide new information to create challenges and create an atmosphere of appreciation of everyone’s’ efforts and contributions. In addition, one must use positive feedback and rewards to encourage the team members.

I like the idea of defining roles after the team is created and each role is emphasized each meeting. If the roles don't seem to work, i.e. they aren't productive, then possible move or combine roles.

Dr. Cheryl,

You make several good points. Teams are more likely engaged when they have a vested interest in an assignment or outcome. Sharing responsibilities and then managing each member to success will encourage each team member to do their best. A strong manager will keep all team members informed about the progress, provide realistic due dates and assignments based on people’s aptitudes, and coach and praise as appropriate.

Dr. Jamie Morley

James,

Defining roles is a good strategy. In addition to defining the role, you should also outline what success looks like in that role. So often, people get shuffled around without know why. Communicating expectations at the time the assignments are given is crucial for success. At each meeting, have the team members bring a list of the assignments, their progress towards the goals, and any stumbling blocks that you, as the manager, can help move. Your job is to communicate the path to success and help your employees achieve it.

Dr. Jamie Morley

At past meetings that I have attended, the team leader goes around the table and asks for everyone's opinion and also for any new ideas or comments. This ensures that every team member has the opportunity to give their opinion. I also think this is good because it is done at every meeting, so team members know to expect it. Knowing that you specifically will be asked allows you to keep the topic in mind during the days leading up to the meeting so that you are prepared and ready with fresh ideas.

Joy,

This is a great idea. I am sure that it puts people at ease so they don’t think the boss is only going to ask them questions in a “gotcha” moment. It might be even more effect if the boss presented a question or two so that the tables had some good ideas ready from the start, as well as some impromptu discussions. Thanks for this post!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Provide the team with an expectation to come to the meeting ready to report out on specific information/results of their department for the prior week.

Kevin,

I agree with you! The key is sometimes not the meeting, but the premeeting work that you require and the minutes that are sent out that codify decisions and opinions. Also, I have a quantifiable weekly “script” or report that I have every department head complete. In academics for example, it includes items like, # of drops last week, # of new starts, # of students with multiple Fs, # of students absent for more than 3 consecutive days, faculty openings, upcoming events, and help needed from other departments. I require that this report is sent prior to the weekly call so that I can be ready to ask questions or provide solutions. Another helpful tool is to set up a virtual website or portal page for your team. Encourage them to respond to threaded questions or suggestions and to post issues. The key is to get everybody thinking before the meeting.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "make sure they feel important." Anytime you can get your team to feel they are needed, wanted and valued they will move mountains for you.

Michael,

You are correct, Michael! Validation is essential. Too often, team leaders do not have the authority to give awards, bonuses, or monetary incentives, so praise is a great way to keep your team motivated and feeling valued. Many team members also appreciate being given additional assignments or responsibility so they feel important. This doesn’t motivate everybody, so the leader should know their team before determining if giving a person more responsibility is a motivator and will make them feel more important.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I think allowing each individual to work on an area that they enjoy or is rewarding to them will allow them to be more likely to participate. Things that we are enthusiastic about we are more likely to accomplish.

Beth,
I agree with your. However, sometimes the work they enjoy may not be the work that is most needed or that they are the best at completing. Rotating responsibilities is a great way to keep people enthusiastic about being on the team, while also building and diversifying their skill level. By giving team members “stretch assignments” they have the opportunity to grow and develop, thereby becoming move valuable members of your team. Another idea is creating subgroups. Subgroups allow more people to assume leadership roles. It also enables participants to join a group that especially interests them. Often, this leads to higher engagement and productivity.

Dr. Jamie Morley

There are numerous strategies that can be utilized to guarantee that each team member remains actively engaged and productive. Provide assistance to team members to take more responsibility for their work, provide team members with the necessary skills and resources to actually do their job. In addition, set up an environment which makes it easy for the team members to perform to the best of his/her abilities, and teach each team member to take responsibility for his/her decisions and actions. Some additional approaches are:

• Ensuring adequate resources. Providing team members the proper equipment, space, time, and support will improve team members’ productivity.
• Communicating roles, responsibilities, and objectives. Most people like structure and are more creative when they know what is expected of them. In addition, responsibilities, and objectives should be communicated as measureable benchmarks.
• Facilitating team members to take control of his/her own tasks and responsibilities. Providing team members with a self-determined attitude will enhance the team engagement and achievement.
• Avoiding micromanagement. Allow the team members the ability to operate with little interference.
• Provide praise to team members when he/she meet deadlines, provided positive input, or when warranted. Do not provide praise just for the sake of providing praise. Praise should only be given when earned; otherwise the concept will be invalid.

Using bechmarking is one good way to ensure every team member is actively participating and being productive.

Roy,

I agree with all of your approaches. Of special note is your comments about praising employees. I don’t know why we feel comfortable giving praise to students and not employees sometimes. Smart organizations are “learning organizations” which makes all employees students as well from time to time so that they stay sharp.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Breane,

In your experience, what items are used to establish the benchmarks? Is it against company norms, results from similar projects, or something else?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Create a team building assignment where each team member 3 areas of the team in need of improvement and offer a suggestion for each that can make a positive impact to create a turn around for the team.

Althea ,

Interesting idea. Do you have an example of a team building assignment that has been successful for you in the past?

Dr. Jamie Morley

By asking every team member to give either verbal or written input on a particular topic and then set a deadline. Sometimes team members who are less likely to speak up in meetings need a bit of time to think of their view of a particular topic.

Jennifer,

I agree with you! By consistently sending out agendas and “pre-work” before meetings, staff will get used to evaluating topics before having to speak about their opinion in public. It is also helpful to post the minutes timely after the meeting so the staff has the opportunity to evaluate new ideas or information that was presented.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Sign In to comment