Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Have the team engage in the development process. Make them feel as they are one team.

Patrick,

Are you referring to the annual human resource evaluation process or something different? 360 reviews are very popular and enlightening. I have some great resources I can share if this is what you are referring to.

Dr. Jamie Morley

One should get every team member involved with an individual assignment. Follow up with the team memmber, get them involved, make them feel their decisions and opinions are valued and important.

For team engagement, I feel it is important to be sure everyone has a clear understanding of the objectives of the team and will be a valuable contributor. I feel brain storming is important to gain ideas that will make the team more productive and allow members to feel they are contributing.

I believe the initial environment sets the tone for a successful team meeting. Break up the monotony of traditional team member settings and start off fresh. Then understanding your team members strengths and weaknesses will assist in productivity as you set your team members up for success rather than failure which will be beneficial in future team activities and members will be more in tuned to accept encouragement and criticism when your team sees the results of a successful TEAM project. To often productivity is doomed at the beginning due to insufficient planning by the team leader and stagnant infrastructure.

levon,

You make several good points Levon. Communication is essential to the functioning of a team. Often times a leader will get so busy implementing the team’s ideas that he or she does not communicate to the team which ideas were accepted and which ones were not. Having regular meetings and taking good minutes is an easy way to keep everybody in the know!

Dr. Jamie Morley

James,

My one suggestion would be that you take the time to memorialize the informal meetings somehow. So often, brilliant ideas flow when there is not the pressure of a formal meeting and these ideas can be quickly lost. Putting up a “brainstorming board” in your office or in a public space, such as a conference room or employee lounge, is a great way to capture impromptu ideas. I regularly take a picture of my board with my cell phone camera and email it to all those that were involved. The ideas can then be codified in formal minutes at a later time.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Andrew,

I couldn’t agree more with your comments about insufficient planning. Very often, projects are doomed from the start because managers pick people that are “available” but not necessarily the best for the assignment. In that case, it takes a lot longer for the team to gel as a group.

Dr. Jamie Morley

This is so true! Each participant in a discussion benefits by knowing their contributions are acknowledged and appreciated. This will frequently spark discussion from members who tend not to contribute on a regular basis.
Thank you for the class and the discussion!

My team is fairly small, and does not work together in the same office. The company holds on-site meetings once a week, but I check in with each of my team members at least twice a week outside of the main meetings. This gives them the opportunity to make sure they are on track, and gives me the chance to call them out for positive work and/or ideas. During the larger team meetings I always try to call out the best work and/or ideas from each member of the team, so they all get the spotlight for a moment. On one occasion, this caused a small direction change in the overall project, and I noticed the team member with the suggestion really dug in and did a lot more work over the next few weeks.

Sheila,

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad that the class has had meaning for you!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Jeremy,

Effective teams require effective leaders. It is amazing the impact that a manager can have on a team by just opening the lines of communication and developing a safe, honest space for people to flourish.

Dr. Jamie Morley

When my lead asks my opinion I feel importanant or if I could actually make a difference. Sometimes my opinion isn't put into action, but when it is I try my hardest to make everything succeed. Now when my opinion is overlooked or rejected, I don't rebel. In fact I see the right and positive in the idea and run with it as well. We're better as a group than alone?

A manager can sometimes hint at certain areas for improvement or even certain projects that need attending to. It is important that as a team, members should be proactive to meet these suggestions or project areas by "picking up the ball" so to speak. Active engagement and productivity is essential, however, to ensure this, the drive to want to be engaged and productive starts with each team member first. One strategy is to make sure that each member is connected with the assignment or task. Once the task is mid-way, then the manager needs to follow up with the team member- this ensures a strategy of care and accountability which in essence will allow the team member to be more productive knowing there is a sense of urgency and feel needed on the team. Connection and follow-up is essential for a strong production as well as the final result will be a success.

Everyone should feel a level of comfort (opinions are valued) and discomfort (out of the zone thinking). Allowing them to always stay in their own comfort zone usually creates static results, as in no movement forward. Encouraging the team to push a little beyond, can pay off in originality and then team strength. When I get to this point, they are very eager for the next project. The more 'undoable', the better.

What are some strategies that could be used to ensure that every team member is actively engaged and productive?

I think that recognition is very important. When people feel recognized for their hardwork, they are more likely to be engaged and productive. Also, recognizing positive growth even if a goal hasn't been reached 100% helps.

Cheryl,
Absolutely!! This type of reinforcement helps people continue to grow professionally.

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment