Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As the team leader you can ask each participant their viewpoint on a subject. This might create some divergent thinking and prompt discussion.

It's important to let team members know that they have a voice. If they feel that their opinion doesn't matter or that regardless of their input nothing will change, team members will stop contributing and become apathethic. Managers can remind team members of how previous contributions have made an impact. I also like the idea of having a "to do" list for each team member. It can help keep everyone on track during team meetings.

Kelly,

Involving all members in team discussions is a good idea. Sometimes however, divergent thinking can lead to arguments and stonewalling of new ideas. Have you witnessed this in the team that you have been on, and if so, how did you address it?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Carinne,

You are right on point! One strategy you can use to remind team members of how their previous contributions have made a difference is to create a "kudos" board. On this board, team members, managers, or even students can write a note to thank somebody that went above and beyond. The comments can be read at a faculty or staff meeting to recognize the employee.

Making task lists is another good strategy. Sharing Outlook calendars allows people to view the progress of other team members' tasks. Smart phones also have organization tools that can help team members keep the priorities in focus.

Thanks.

Dr. Jamie Morley

In my past experience, I have learned that listening is critically important. At one time in my life I had to go on voice rest. At that time, and this will give you an idea of how old I am, LOL, I had to write my thoughts on one of those magic erase tablets that were used by children.. even ordering in restaurants. I wasn't allowed to talk on the phone either. This was for a 2 week period of time. I cant' begin to tell you how much more I heard, and learned by shutting my mouth and listening to others. I have kept this concept with me throughout the years. AS a leader, I feel we are there to serve the students and the folks we lead. We work for them, not the other way around. So we must listen to each person concerned, take it all in and allow others to speak, to be heard, respected, and provide ideas, guidance, wisdom. Then apply all that we possibley can in the process of leading the team. They are equally important if not more. Where my wisdom and expertise come in is to utilize each member's wisdom, talents, creativity,& experience to the benefit of all concerned.

Linda,

What great insight into the importance of purposeful listening! Too often, team leaders will get input from team members even though the outcome has been predetermined. Placating people in this way does not help them grow in their roles and usually provides little value -- except to speed along the process. As you state, it is through listening that respect is built.

Nicely done!

Dr. Jamie Morley

I would remind each team member that their experience and insight is a great asset to the team. By sharing their ideas will get the creative juices flowing for the rest of the team, towards the goal we need to complete.

Nicholas,

Very good point. Sometimes people think that their experiences are non interesting and they don't share. However, what seems mundane to one person, may stimulate creative thought in another. As a team leader, the best thing you can do is foster a safe environment where people feel comfortable sharing.

Well done!

Dr. Jamie Morley

Thank You

Nicholas,
I hope you are enjoying the course!

Dr. Jamie Morley

I agree. Listening to everyone and allowing them their opinions is very important.

give the team all work to do for the end result, as we all come back together to discuss the work they all have done and see what will work out.

Stu,

Giving people individual assignments is a good way to achieve accountability. However, there should be interaction with your team between the time you make the assignment and the time the team gets back together. By guiding them to successfully complete the assignment; you are much more likely to get a good outcome when the team gets back together. It also makes your team feel that you have a personal interest in their individual success.

Best of luck,

Dr. Jamie Morley

I feel that strategic leader can utilize decision-making teams as a powerful asset in successfully coping with the enviornoment. Such teams improve their decision making by using a process of consensus.

Kim,

You are correct. Having multiple people involved in decision making often produces a better outcomes because there are different perspectives and experiences represented. Sometimes, leaders have difficulties in managing by consensus. They can encounter significant delays, "groupthink", or apathy. Have you ever experienced any of those issues, and if so, how did your group or strategic leader overcome them?

Thanks for your input.

Dr. Jamie Morley

I feel that strategies are a continuous progress. Every team member has a duty to give their best in preparing for a great consequence on all projects in demand. I find that some team member do not engage in any actives at all, so one of my approach is to encourage all team members they are essential to the project and all ideas and comments is very crucial. Also I meet with the team individually for questions and concerns. Team engagement is very significant to all.

We start the meeting with issues to discuss and then go around the room and give each person an opportunity to comment on the individual issue. At the end of the discussion we once again go around and see what the thoughts of the whole team are with the final outcome. It seems to work very well for us.

Lisa Marie,

Your process is a good one! It allows everybody to contribute and ensures that varying opinions are heard. Do you ever have an issue where some people do not want to contribute? If so, what strategies do you use to address that?

Dr. Jamie Morley

Linda,

You mention a couple techniques that are essential for effective team engagement -- public encouragement and private meetings for concerns. A good team leader will probe to determine why they are not getting optimal contributions from team members. Sometimes the team members need coaching, while other times it is the dynamic of the team that is causing them not to share. Your techniques go a long way to making everybody comfortable with contributing.

Well done.

Dr. Jamie Morley

One strategy would be to delegate one item of discussion to get everyone engaged. In team meetings, everyone would have a chance to speak and actively engage and produce results within that meeting.

Sign In to comment