Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a team leader I would encourage the team to keep seeking best practices and improvement. It is important to maintain control, but I do want my team to be empowered to implement the agreed upon strategies. Sometimes the hardest task in team leadership is buy in of the team when they do not have a say in the decision. I try to inform the team of the reasons for the decisions and discuss with them the anticipated outcomes and get their feedback on how to implement a positive response to changes.

When team performance is ongoing,sometimes team members just need a break. As a team leader I take responsibility for the morale of my team. Members need to feel valued with realistic expectations placed upon them. I find it most difficult to improve team performance when team members are overworked or have these unrealistic expectations placed upon them. I feel my job is to keep the team functioning through realistic and achievable goals.

Sharon,

You make several good points Sharon. Communication is essential to the functioning of a team. Often times a leader will get so busy implementing the team’s ideas that he or she does not communicate to the team which ideas were accepted and which ones were not. Having regular meetings and taking good minutes is an easy way to keep everybody in the know!

You also touch on the importance of empowerment. Leaders have different authority levels and sometimes may not be empowered to empower their team to the degree that they would like. In that case, praise and communication go a long way in keep the team successful and satisfied.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Sharon,

Good points! Another important aspect to remember is to remind your team that the situation is temporary. Nobody wants to feel that they are being taken advantage of, and yet most good team members will go the extra mile to help out during unusual situations – like you are short-staffed or have a tight deadline. As long as you communicate that their efforts are appreciated and that a plan is in place to ensure that they are not overworked forever, you are likely to have team members that are willing to do what is needed.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Conflict is a healthy ingredient in improving team performance. Not all team members should agree to whatever is being discussed at the table. Diversity of ideas will promote better results.

Identify the common goal/objective of the team is the key. Personal interests should be set aside so as all members can focus on one ultimate objective.

Hermie,

You are exactly correct! However, not everybody is comfortable with conflict. It takes a strong manager to be able to allow conflict in a way that does not create hurt feelings or hostility.

Dr. Jamie Morley

Hermie,

Absolutely! A manager’s primary focus is to extol the vision in such a way that everybody can buy-in to it. If done correctly, the team members will be able to have their personal interests in the project fulfilled as well.

Dr. Jamie Morley

As a team leader, what corrective measures would you take to improve team performance? How would you communicate these measures to your team members?

I think getting everybody on the same page is important. Congratulate each on the positive things and give constructive criticism and ideas to help improve their performance.

Glenn,
Agreed...but how are you going to get them on the same page?

Ron Obstfeld

Sign In to comment