Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that instead of many corrective measures the best way to manage the progress of a team is to properly set the expectations. Being very clear and consistent in what needs to happen and why it must be done (as well as why it is done in the manner you/the team desires) helps to illuminate most problems and ensure that everyone understands what the goals are and what to do.

Brandon,

I agree. Although corrective measures are a necessary evil, a thorough and complete explanation of the objectives at hand and quick movement forward, within a culture of accountability, will help a leader avoid many problems.

As you have stated, when a leader is rolling out a new initiative he should spend more time on the why, rather than the what.

Regards,

Greg

When monitoring teams I found there was much conflict due to different time constraints of members. I found that to help resolve this was to have members establish a form of better communication. One that did not depend on all members being present at one time. I found that discussion boards are very effective in communication.

Open communication lines must remain open to acheive goals effectively and effeciently.

The hardest thing I found and maybe you can help with this is having students take the leadership role. No one wants to be a team leader. I found that adding some incentives allows students to come forward. Any other tactics?

I agree with Lee. Forcing teams to be together longer or in off hours can breed hostility. In many teams that I have been a part of, the break allows for the team to put some of the ideas and implementations to resonate with in themselves.

Along the same lines, having too many meetings are also counterproductive. Space, to a point, needs to be given to make any team stronger.

Some topics are discussed in Team Meetings at length, other topics are just thrown out for later discussion in the next meeting allowing think time and open discusion between the individuals in the group. It makes for some interesting questions and answers.

I like to ask them to come prepared with an answer to their questions or at least an idea.

Outside groupwork has always work to reuite us and bring everyone together and talk about more then just work topics. We go to events that encourage us to be open and honest with one another which releives our stresses we may have had in an work enviroment. It is a great team builder.

Make your expectations clear up front long term and short term goals. At meatings ask to see if anyone needs assistance or concerns with projects.

Hi John,

Clearly communicating--and agreeing on--expectations is a critical first step for any strong leader and his or her team.

The leader must then take an extra step and ensure that the expectations are realistic. For example, don't just ask for a 10% increase. Rather, work with your team to create a detailed plan and forecast that clearly supports the desired outcomes.

Budget what you can do, not what you want to do.

Best Regards,

Greg

From past experience and being the new leader on the block, I knew that in a short period of time I must get all of my program instructors on board with my expectations and goal so that I can gain their respect in order to move in the direction for improvement. Open communication is a powerful tool for everyone if used in a productive manner to achieve the effectiveness and effeciency of the end result. I must admit it worked perfectly and everyone of my program instructors are successfully moving in a positive direction to meet expectations and goal for their individual programs.

As a team leader, I would not make it my sole responsibility to correct these issues, instead, I would acknoledge with the team that there is an issue and allow them an opportunity to voice their input to collaborate (while acting as a guide/mediator) to resolve/find a resolution.

I have recently been promoted to a new management position. I have continued to work closely with the same people I have been. I have taken the steps to increase communication among everyone and we all work together wonderfully. I have also taken the step towards recognizing each person for the great job that they do everyday. It is also important to make sure everyone undertands the goals we are trying to reach and why we are trying to reach that specific goal. Any changes that I would make or corrective practices would be done on either a one on one basis because I have people that work different schedules or I would find a time to have a meeting to role out new things.

Team performance is only as good as its leadership. Bennis (1989) posited four competencies as evidence in that respect: management of attention; management of meaning; management of trust; and management of self. Management of attention shows that the leader has the ability to draw others into the concept or vision of the organization. Management of meaning means to execute that vision so that there is comprehension of the requirements. Management of trust requires the leader to be consistent in their authority and show authenticity. Lastly, management of self is the leader's response to transparency and self-efficacy.
In communicating these measures to team members a leader must make sure that directives are clearly given and all involved are motivated and engaged. According to Maccoby (2010), motivating the team to effectiveness involves 4R's of motivation: responsibilities; relationships; rewards; and reasons. Placing individuals in assigned tasks are responsibilities. Positive interaction with others are relationships. Appreciation and recognition for exemplary work are rewards. Finally, motivators to perform the tasks are rewards.

Bennis, W.(1989). Why leaders can't lead. Training & Development Journal. April,35-39.

Maccoby, M.(2010). The human side: The 4R's of motivation. Research-Technology Management. July/August,1-2.

Weekly if not daily emails are essential for communication with my team. Getting my team together in one room is nearly impossible due to conflicting schedules so I rely on text and email to discuss goals, performance,and evaluations. I try to meet with everyone weekly, monthly and/or quarterly on an individual basis to evaluate performance and try to bring them together quarterly for team review.

I have found over the years that when people have a feeling of ownership they perform at a higher level. As a team leader, you need to find the trigger that embellishes this sense of ownership.

It's very important to set clear goals for your team and hold your team accountable for those goals. If your team as a whole does not meet their set goals, it's essential to meet and discuss what can be done to enhance performance. It's also pertinent to meet with each team member individually to praise what is working and to offer constructive criticism in areas necessary. When your team knows what you expect and knows that you hold each one accountable for the success of the whole team, they are likely to perform better as a whole.

I definitley do 1:1's and send weekly goals - I do have team meetings but not on a regular basis since my team is small and we are constanly in contact throughout the week

I would hold weekly meetings with each person

Incorporating team building techniques will assist in the performance of the group, it will allow the team members to be more relaxed and openly discuss various topics.
How do you feel about incorporating team building/ice breaking techniques throughout the team meetings?

Hi Edo,

I like using ice breaking techniques with a new group, but I feel it's a bit contrived and off-point when you are meeting with your team on a regular basis.

You are better off keeping your meetings short and sweet. In most cases, team members are eager to get back to work and produce results, rather than talk about it. Ten minute stand-up meetings are excellent or teleconference with a time limit.

These techniques do work well for off-site meetings focused on strategic planning and team building.

Best,

Greg

Hi Dana,

You have an excellent grasp of the key leadership concepts. You should do very well in your new position.

Keep in mind, it is many times more difficult to break out from a team position and begin leading your old peers. If you do what you say you are going to do, your old peers will slowly begin to accept your new role and gain confidence in you as their leader.

Good luck,

Greg Nathanson

Sign In to comment