Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Dynlene,

Great material. Understanding these concepts should provide you with a great foundation to lead your team.

The key now is to apply these high level concepts into your day-to-day operations.

Hope you are creating success!

Best,

Greg Nathanson

Hi Melissa,

Sounds like you have excellent communication with your team. Text and email are wonderful tools to provide or request information or pat people on the back.

Face-to-face meetings or a personal phone call are best when providing "tough love," requesting a change in behavior or delivering bad news.

Keep up the good work,

Greg

Hi Gary,

Right on point! You accomplish this with full disclosure, open communication and, more specifically, including them in the planning and forecasting process.

This process starts well before the year begins, as you work with your team to develop a realistic forecast and plan with a detailed bridge, ensuring a clear road map and regular measurement for all involved.

Best,

Greg

Hi Sangeetha,

Wonderful comments. Assuming your objectives, goals and budgets are realistic, your style should drive very consistent success for you and your team.

Well done!

Greg

Hi Donnie,

Individual meetings work well, but I find a quick weekly meeting with the entire team reminds everyone of the broad-based task at hand. It also helps to ensure clear, consistent and concise communication within the entire team.

Best,

Greg

Hi Donald,

Great method! Many leaders avoid or push off conflict and problems. You attack the bull by the horns and resolve your challenges quickly.

Team members respect this style of leadership and will be more likely to accept the decision and quickly return to the task at hand, which is always in the best interest of the individual, the team and the company.

Best,

Greg

I find it is easier to break people into smaller groups to brainstorm. Then each team picks a person to present their top five ideas or best practices.

I thank you for sharing this approach, I work with several varied personalities and the challenge I am encountering is the undermining of previous instructor guidance. We have a meeting coming up and I hope to address these issues and remind everyone that we have a common goal. Disharmony among instructors weakens the educational experience of the student and creates riffs in professionalism.

I would try to encourage collaboration. I would look for opportunities to have my staff work together in solving identified issues. As stated in the lesson, "Nothing builds team identity like collaborating side by side on a challenge".

Very important is they know what is expected of them. One thing to help improve team perfomance is to make sure the team know what areas they need to improve on, giving them benchmarks and time lines.
Once this is done hold them accountable for their actions. .

Yes i agree . The team has to be aware what the expectation are of them. It is not fair to put expection with out explanation

There are a few basic elements of successful teams--many are mentioned here. Team members need to be publicly supportive of eachother--any concerns with fellow team members need to be expressed behind closed doors. This is not to say that the team can't disagree, it just shouldn't be a public display.
Forgiveness is a huge element of teamwork--forgive mistakes and move forward (focusing on the solutions, not the problems).
If the team does not have a mission statement and core values, develop them and adhere to them. Why are we here? What is the purpose of our team? Answering these questions can surely improve the team's performance.
Also, as noted in this module, celebrate the milestones, even if they are small ones. Acknowledge the progress the team has made.

i think that the most important thing is to create a standard of participation that allows everyone to feel open to discuss their ideas and issues. But this has to be done in light of the goals and objectives of the group and as the leader you must continue to monitor the groups progress towards those goals and objectives on a continual basis.

I think it is important first to discover what is holding the team back. When did performance start slipping and why? The leader can analyze, research, and come to a possible conclusion. Then discuss with the team as a whole, in small groups, or individually to hear what they believe is holding back the team.

I have found that if I took team members away from the office, out to lunch or dinner, they communicated their frustrations openly, but constructively. When I would have the team in a conference room to discuss items of business, team members were negative, pointing and blaming each other, and not showing respect. Once a quarter, I took the team out to review performance as a team, set up next quarters goals, and have a team building exercise. Weekly, the team would get together (those that were available since we had multiple time zones to work with and shifting schedules) to review the teams goals, hear the previous weeks results, and listen to one member who would present a new learning exercise.

To improve my team menbers performances and to keep my team on target i must constanly evaluate their performances and make necessary mid course
corrections. Also you need to understain the kind of obstacles that derails a team and develop techniques to remove those osbtacles.

I oversee the restaurant operations for a culinary school which deals with 15 chef instructors that need to be linked together in their identity, ommunication, and daily topical outline/ lesson plan. I have set-up daily email communication requirements by each team member as to what was produced during their shift, what needs to be carried on in the next shift and the production list of needed supplies for the next day. Keeping all faculty and students feeling an intergal part of the whole team is the goal. This corrective measure has improved our team performance tremendously and has provided the students in the restaurant an opportunity to serve 600-800 guests daily.

our team is comprised of opioninated people. I have to remind the team that its ok to "agree to disagree" sometimes and that we all come together for one purpose.

I think it depends upon the personalities in the group; positive reinforcement at the beginning of the meeting along with re-emphasizing the purpose of the team can help them stay on track. Encouraging the group to work together towards the common goal, along with offering support to accomplish the goal can be effective.

I too have a team of opinionated people. This tactic of having a team meeting defintely allows us all to come to an agreement. The other key factor here is the communication element. Sometimes when tasks are delegated through e-mail, the meaning can get lost, and the team may not have clear direction on what the final goal or outcome is without knowing some of the "middle" information and why they're being asked to do certain things.

I find the most effective tool at improving team performance is communication. Identify a clear goal, and allow the team to set clear expectations as how the goal can be accomplished, helps the individuals to take ownership and feel responsible to the other members of the team. The result is usually success.

Sign In to comment