Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find it hard to find enough time to create an agenda. I have started to list my agenda items during the week before meeting day on my outlook task bar. This has helped me in organizing and addressing all our departments critical topics.This has produced a more efficient and productive meeting.
I liked the suggestion of having the agenda and important documents distributed before the actual meeting. I am going to incorporate this practice into my planning.

Theresa,
Good idea to plan ahead. If you have someone to bounce your ideas off from is a good idea. They can add and support your agenda.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The hardest task in preparing a meeting is the agenda and covering subjects in the time alloted. Maybe the gatekeeper can give a discrete signal at a certain time signaling you to move on the the next item.

Bernice,
Time lapses for the agenda can be caused by rehasing information that has already been discussed. It is important the leader points this out and move on with the topic.

Dr. Gary Carlson

As Program Director, it is my focus that my staff treat each other with respect at all times. I have monthly staff meetings to bring new information to the staff regarding classroom mangement, updated policies and other very specific topics. When I sense that the participants are moving towards uncooperativness and disrespect toward myself or other team members, whether it's verbal or nonverbal communication,I move the meeting along by changing focus. I also have two team members that seem to have opposite opinions and discussion can get heated, in that case I conclude the meeting immediately and discuss the situation in private with both members.I have also brought these tow together to discuss their issues which has had some positive results.

Debbie,
Great techniques, you use these with consistency the people will grow respect for your honesty and fairness. When everyone knows the rules of the meeting and how you will handle it when people get outside of the comfort zone. I used an old practice when people came to the meeting I would have them put a rubber band on their wrist. When someone was saying something negative the group would ask them to snap their wrist. We had fun with it but it did point out how other felt about some comments.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The biggest challenge we run into with meetings is simply the amount of people involved in the process or computing of information. Too many chefs so to speak. So simplification and creating a proper flow is important. Not only does starting with basic topics or house cleaning items start the process off evenly it also allows the facilitator to see who and what is happening before more important topics arise.

Brian,
Along with an agenda it is important to communicate the expectations of the meeting. Especially the outcomes necessary to complete the meeting. Leadership should keep on track with only the items on the agenda and move forward. Any other items that may come up can be a sidebar meeting after the meeting with the agenda.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Adhering to the agenda and timelines can be challenging so I create a "parking lot" for non-agenda topics that will pop up. These items may then be addressed after the meeting or at another time. Meeting participants understand the transparency of this concept.

Rehearsing my meeting topics allows me to practice time management and flow.

Walter,

Good idea! We always need to put high priority items first. Those are items that need action. Old business can possibly be carried over.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Time Management! I work in an incredible busy environment and it seems like there's never enough time to "have team meetings" because of all the outside influences/needs for the business. I have found the best way to have a meeting is get out of the building and turn off your phones!. This way you get their full attention and commitment to the agenda.

Wayne,
When holding a meeting it is excellent to remove the people from distractions. The best meetings are those where you can focus.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I agree that keeping the meeting on track and on time is the most difficult part of conducting a meeting. It is very import to reiterate the agenda and time allotted for the meeting at the beginning and keeping participants on subject.

Kris,
Meetings should be very transparent. Attendees should be aware of the objectives and expected outcomes. This will help to keep the meeting on track to accomplish the goal of having the meeting. Any discussion outside of this should be tabled.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I also agree with this, sticking to the agenda is hard sometimes but not as hard as staying with the allotted time. When the topic is interesting and everyone seems to have an opinion or a story to tell, track of time seems to get lost, you hate to not allow everyone to be heard but sometimes you just have to tactfully pull the meeting back on track so that you can end and get on to other things.

Ranee,
Agenda's need to be shared and people attending the meeting should be aware of the expectations. Expectations for outcomes gives light to the need to stick to the agenda for achieving the outcomes.

Dr. Gary Carlson

The biggest problem my team has, is the time factor.
We have weekly meetings, but it seems something is always coming up.
We do communicate either way, and when we do get together, we know what we what to talk about, and some of the solutions for issues

Dennis,

Meetings are set in place and if they are priority it takes place. When other things are higher priority we need to adjust.

Dr. Gary Carlson

I think the hardest task is determining what is best to put on the agenda so that you are not wasting peoples time. In our very busy days we want to be sure that meetings are productive and that we are not meeting just to meet. I try to keep meetings to just a few agenda items and cover either informational items and/or training items.

Glenn,
Always prioritize your agenda so the most important items get discussed first. Holding them to the end is not a good idea. You may run out of time. Information items can be disseminated with different communication techniques.

Dr. Gary Carlson

Sign In to comment