Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Roberto,

You are so right. Assessing the proper thing is essential - whether performance, process or product. Thanks!

Many of the same ideas are expressed in this thread. To evaluate students, I favor the Process first, the perfromance (skill evaluation), and product last. Outcomes matter most in business and real-world applications but students should be focused on learning process method and sharpening the skill set neccesary to navigate the process. The outcome will be there if the first two parts are emphasized. Rather than academics, I think Little League batting...we want the kids to learn the swing (process of hitting), improve their skills neccessary to make contact consistently/hit with power (performance); and if those are working..the outcome will be there (hits during games). When a batter is edpressed about outcome, the coach always goes back to process and performance and closes with a word of encouragement: The hits will come...keep swinging.

Francis,

Yes, we do see some common threads in this forum, but adding your thoughts about measuring proves, performance and then product makes sense. It seems that would be a natural progression of the students' work. And you are right in that we need to keep swinging. ;-]

In evaluating performance, you are looking at the effectiveness of a student's approach, how well they have executed the exercise and if they have been able to accomplish the goals and objectives of the assignment. In essence, with performance you are evaluating their level of competency in terms of completing the assignment.

In evaluating product, you look to evaluate the overall quality of the student's work. Have they accurately addressed the assignment and does their content development meet the criteria in which the evaluation is based.

The process is the approach undertaken or the methodology the student has utilized in addressing the project. Process also takes into account effectiveness, critical thinking skills, and/or problem solving ability.

Saudat,

I am glad you mentioned checking to make sure the students are accomplishing the objectives of the assignment. We have to make sure they are moving forward and comprehending the content. Thanks!

Since a process has individual steps, the assessment will be more analytical. I teach math. A lot of what the students do is a process.

But if the students have a realistic project, the end result is the product. For example, given snowfall data for Christmas day over the past 30 years, I had students decide the probability that a jewelry store here in Chicago would "lose" the promotion that if Chicago had 6 inches of snow on Christmas day, all purchases since Thanksgiving were free. The final product is the probability that they calculated. Technically, according to the course material, I should grade this holistically. The end result is the product. In actuality, I would want to look at how they arrived at their conclusion.

Maybe I am confusing the two ideas: process and product, but in terms of math, they seem to be the same to me. Or am I misunderstanding the concepts discussed here?

Janis,

We do have to think about the course content and what we are asking the students to do. I do not think you are misunderstanding. Thanks!

Hello,

When I think of evaluating a product, I think of some sort of deliverable that is the end result of a process, like a paper or project. Whereas process is the steps involved in producing that deliverable.

Assessing the product involves evaluating how close the student has come to meeting the standards laid out in the grading criteria. Assessing process on the other hand implies checking to see whether the student approached the deliverable in a logical sequence of steps.

Assessing a performance seems much different since the instructor must evaluate how well the student demonstrates what they have inculcated what they have learned in their performance.

Michael ,

Great description. There is a difference many times between assessing a product, process or performance. Thanks for the clarification.

Through this course, I have thought about the types of rubricss I have developed. I am reminded of them any mistakes I've made, as well as learned the things I've done right and why it is right. I've created all three types I think. I've been guilty of trying to "whip it up" only to be embarrassed that I didn't think it through. When I am looking at writing, I' use the process type rubric because The process is important and key to constructing a good piece. In fact, if the process is organized and followed through...the product meets the standards. Product rubrics are often used for their creative projects...not much different than a performance would be for the actor. It doesn't really matter how they got to the finished product as long as it meets the criteria.

carol,

Glad this course made you think. ;-) We all learn from our mistakes as we have created the rubrics and used them and then get feedback from students. We have to revise everything we do to make it better. Keep it up! Thanks for your input.

Evaluation of a product focuses on the assessment of what was delivered. This does not usually provide perforemance or process formative feedback. Performance evaluation is focusing on how the work was completed to address inconsistencies and provide examples for improvement. Similar to performance, process focuses on the individual parts of the process to motivate the student to again focus on the steps. This evaluation is in my opinon the best formative feedback as the student that reviews this type of formative feedback must examine how their learning skills were used in the steps to end in a product.

Dr. Glenn ,

We do have to focus on both formative and summative feedback to provide a great realm of feedback to all students. Thanks for your input.

A performance evaluation is assessing the performance of a given task or objective.

An evaluation of a process is an analysis of the steps or actions taken to complete an assignment.

When you are evaluating a product, you are assessing the end results of a goal.

Mischel,

Good job describing each of them. Thanks for this clear description. It will help others as they read this forum.

A preformance is the evaluation of an action, as specificed in the course text, "theatrical type of performance, a job-related skill, an oral presentation" (CEE, 2014).

Process, however is a series of events or steps that are designed to achieve an end result.

Product evaluation are an intangile or tanglible creation. I usually think of a product as a project orientated assignment. Product evaluation often include process consideration in terms of education. For example, a design related project that requires you to show work leading up to a project would be process and project.

Vicki,

Thanks for quick definitions and examples. It will help others grasp the material and understand the differences. Thanks for your input.

Interesting question. Evaluating a performance is a holistic view of a project, paper or presentation, including the process and the product. Evaluating the process is seeing the extent to which a student followed the appropriate steps in coming to a final product.

Evaluating a product is examining the end result of the process, without necessarily considering how the process played out. It reminds me of when I was in math class as a high schooler, where I may have come up with the final answer (product) but failed to show my work (process). The performance was the cumulative evaluation of each of my products and processes.

Scott,

I like the way you integrated holistic, produce and process. This brings up some very good points and will help others understand. Thanks!

Each of these works together with the others. Performance is the level of competency the individual completed the duties (i.e. above average, average, below average). Process is the path or the steps they took to get to that level of completeness. Product is what comes out in the end and whether or not it covers everything that was outlined in the assignment description.

Sign In to comment