Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Erin,

Good descriptions of performance, process and product rubrics. We have to think about what we are evaluating and which type of rubrics will be best. Nice job.

Hello All,

Evaluating performance means that you will access a student based on the performance on a particular task. Evaluating a process would include looking at a students actions while performing the task. Evaluating a product would mean looking at some type finished result of a process whether concrete or intangible. All methods are different, but each of them are equally important.

Liz

Elizabeth,

Thanks for you descriptions. The thing we have to remember about assessment is that is is not something we do to students, but with students. Thanks for your input.

Using examples from the course I teach, I feel I can explain this clearly.

In the course, they research a presentation topic and create an outline, showing that they have an understanding of the topic and the various parts of a presentation (process). They create a PowerPoint for use in the presentation (product). And they actually give a live presentation (performance).

Christen Embry

Christen,

Excellent examples of process, produce and performance. Thanks for adding to the conversation and helping others understand.

Performance is considered to be the presentation of the the assignment while the process is the steps that one takes to bring the end result which is considered to be the product. All three steps blend together to ensure the end result.

Jeannie,

I like that you acknowledge that all three ensure the end result. Many times we don't combine them all necessarily, but it can be done. Thanks again.

For me evaluating a product is much more clear cut than evaluating performance or process. With a product I can identify the required components and the levels of achievement for each component. Evaluating performance is much more subjective in nature. Evaluating process can be tricky as well because there is not always a correct way to complete something. Even if a task requires a specific process, students will surprise you by getting through to the product in creative ways. ~Melissa

Melissa,

I can see your point. When you have a product to evaluate, you have something you can touch, handle and assess for sure. Thanks for your input.

The term emulate is often used to describe performance in this context. It is asking a student to perform a real world simulation.
The process is the steps taken to achieve the given task.
The product is the end result. It may be tangible or can be an idea.

Tammy,

Good descriptions. Succinct and to the point, but you have the information right. Thanks!

Dr. Tena Crews,
In evaluating the process you are more focused on the student's thought process, their understanding of the different techniques taught, and how they reached the end result, than just the end result itself. Usually this involves a more analytical style of rubric where the tasks are broken down into parts.

In evaluating the product,as an instructor I am looking at the final product and judging it on whether or not it would meet industry standards. Personally I think this approach is best used for higher level classes where the focus is less on skill building and more preparing them for their job hunt. Because I teach drawing and animation courses, and in the real world the clients do not care so much about the process, but are concerned with having a quality product. But in the lower level classes I use more of a process approach to help them learn the software/ techniques and build up their skills.

In most of my classes my rubrics tend to be a hybrid of the process and product approach, where I usually give a large chunk of the assignment points to the end product, while at the same time utilizing the other points to evaluate their process.

In a performance based assignment, I would have the focus on their ability to convey and communicate the concepts and ideas to the audience. In my courses, I haven't run into this as much.

Anthony,

You bring up some very good points. You know when I have a student that makes the same mistake over and over again, I ask them, "What's going through your head when you try to solve this problem?" or "What process do you go through to identify the problem?" This helps me see what process they go through as they think things through. That's helpful when assessing a process. Thanks!

I look at a rubric that evaluates a process as one that will analyze the components or steps to reach the final product. On the other hand a rubric designed to evaluate a product will be looking at the final result. This is sort of like looking at the trees and then the forest. To evaluate a performance seems more of an evaluation of quality as opposed to quantity - how well did the individual meet the objectives? Or maybe a performance rubric could be used to compare to peers in peer evaluation.

Janet,

Love the analogy of the trees and the forest. Good point. Thanks for discussing that rubrics should be connected to the objectives as well. Nicely done.

Performance to me is the ability of the student, while process is the how the student completes the project and lastly product is the final effort

Kevin,

I see where you are coming from. This is a different way of looking at it. Thanks for that.

Evaluating a performance can be important for certain fields where that is key what they do. I would say that the medical field, as well as aviation (pilots) are two areas that come to mind here performance is vital. Assessing the performance of a surgeon and a pilot is something that is probably done quite a bit. An oral presentation for many students can help them prepare for work in fields where addressing groups may be commonplace.

Evaluating a process is different in that, while the outcome may have addressed a particular area, their level of learning can be demonstrated. Being able to provide detailed feedback and giving consistent evaluation is great, but can be more time consuming compared to evaluation of a performance or product.

Evaluating a product can be either tangible or something like an idea or a service. In this area we are more concerned with the final product and not necessarily the process that was used.

David,

Detailed feedback that is constructive is essential. We want the students to be motivated to improve and this is a good way to do it - through feedback and rubrics. Thanks!

Sign In to comment