Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Carla,

We have to keep the end product in mind and make sure the rubrics appropriately assess the end product.

Thanks for sharing.

Product is the finished element designed for a specific purpose. Performance is to what degree of success did the participant perform his/her task to achieve the product.
Process is the actual method, step by step which will lead to the product and provide criteria for evaluating performance.

Harry,

Good definitions. Thanks for your posting and helping others understand the product, performance and process better.

Take care.

so if we are looking at performance,product and process,our rubric could be somewhat complicated-or are we saying you can design a rubric for only one at a time?

Look at the three elements individually as mentioned already. By doing so, it is possible for a.n instructor to isolate any specific difficulties the student may have had with the assignment.

Carla,

Any time we can providing information to students through a rubric prior to them beginning the assignment/project, issues can be alleviated. Thanks!

Carla,

You may develop a rubric that can incorporate more than one (performance, product and process), but I think it helps the students see the difference in the components if you help them understand what they are being evaluated on: performance, product or process. Make sense?

According to the materials from Module 4, “Performance. Assessing a performance may include an actual theatrical type of performance, a job-related skill, an oral presentation, or various other student performances. A performance may be completed live and be recorded for later viewing or performed through a simulated environment.” While a process is “a series of actions, steps, or functions to achieve an end or bring about a result. For example, the process of obtaining a driver's license has several steps. A rubric that assesses process is more analytic as it separates pieces of an activity individually and then allows for adding all scores for a total rating. A holistic rubric is more product-oriented.” Finally, a product is typically thought of as something that is produced. This is correct, but the product may not be a tangible object. A product may include a good idea, service, method, or other information that is the end result of a process. A holistic rubric is more product-oriented.” The differences among performance, process, and product are performance measures performance related activities –hands on type of learning activities. Process is more concerned with detailed analysis, while product is more holistic and does not go into details. Thanks, Tom

Tom,

Excellent description. Thanks! I think your post will helps others understand this more clearly.

Thanks again.

During a “live lab” presentation on healthcare insurance and discussing the types of job functions, I will always share scenarios with students’ regarding the different medical insurances and different tasks that they will perform in the field. In addition, students’ will have a better understanding of the weekly textbook chapters. By passing their weekly tests, I am able to assess their performance based on the scenarios I shared with them. As for process, students’ will take the necessary steps to complete a project so that he/she can understand and achieve each level of step. Though holistic rubrics are product- oriented, it is important that the rubric helps student achieve at a competent or superior level. When students’ receive the necessary steps on how to complete tasks and examples of the task, they are likely to have a successful product. An intangible product would be an essay with a grade A. Student shows that he/she understands the steps on how to write an essay or student has some insight about the task (essay) which the student has met or exceeded all standards on how to write an essay.

Sabrina Sanders

Sabrina,

Do you record the "live labs" so that students who are absent or those who want to watch it more than once can watch it? Thanks for the information in this post. Nice job.

I like how this is defined. It helps create a better understanding for the students.

Rita,

Great. I'm glad you liked it and are getting some important information out of these forums.

Please continue to add to the conversation.

The difference in these topics vary in terms of stages the students work or progress may be. A performance would usually be related to performing a skill task. A process would be evaluating a longer term skill possibly academically based that would require the student to accomplish a few stages to complete. A product would suggest an assignment that was finite like a paper or homework or a research project that had to be completed by a particular date.

Ava,

Good descriptions. Concise, but complete and your descriptions will help others understand as well.

Nice job.

I would define product as the end result of an activity or lesson. I think of a product as what you have to show for your activity.

I think process is the activity you undertake to change something from one view to another.

In accounting, we account for costs as a product moves through the development process. I may begin with raw lumber and through a process I change the lumber into a table. I have the costs of the lumber, glue and nails. I have to cut and shape the lumber into the pieces I will assemble. I also have some labor involved as a person performs the various tasks to change the raw lumber into a finished product.

Performance is the skill and talent of the worker who takes the lumber and creates a table. His performance activity is what it takes to change a raw material into a finished product.

John,

Thanks for your input on product, process and performance. You make sense and will help others differentiate between the three. Thanks!

Process is an analytical review of the sections covered with feedback for each part of the project. Project is holistic and an overall review.

Alan,

The feedback on each specific part can be very helpful in providing information to help students improve. Thanks!

Each plays a part in the student learning process. Performance relates to the student's work and their overall output from the learning environment. Process deals with the process or action steps taken, while product relates to what was produced.

Sign In to comment