Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Rubrics

As an online instructor, why is it important to use rubrics?

As an online instructor the use of rubrics is beneficial for more effectively communicating expectations. Since I do not have the face to face interaction with students, this provides a means of conveying expectations more clearly, and objectively. When students understand what is expected, they may feel more confident in proceeding with the development of their work.

In the online environment there is a need for more self-directed learning from our students. As we learned in this module, a rubric can convey “meaningful and timely feedback for students” and aid in independent learning (as they feel better equipped to prepare their work without continual clarification of expectations). This can ultimately enhance student performance and achievement of the learning objectives.

Jennifer ,

Meaningful and timely feedback is the key to success Great answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

There are so many reasons why rubrics are especially important in an online class! Besides the guidance it gives students for expectations for the assignments, rubrics show the students that there is an instructor in the class who is ready to help them learn! I find that many students, especially first-time students, enter an online classroom feeling rather lost and secluded. As they warm up and familiarize themselves with the basics of the classroom, rubrics add another element of comfort for them.

As the class progresses, rubrics provide specific feedback to students regarding their course work. Not only do rubrics provide expectations, but they allow students to see their strengths and weaknesses. Plus if assignments are similarly designed throughout a course, rubrics can help them to see their improvement from assignment to assignment. They can build from the feedback they receive in the rubric to improve their work for the next. Rubrics rock!

Debra,

I agree with you! Rubrics really do add a level of comfort (and sometimes stress) because there is no hiding within ignorance! As an educator, rubrics to aid us also! Great answer!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

When teaching online it is important to communicate expectations for assignments clearly to students. Rubrics help students to understand what is expected of them for a particular assignment, and it will also help clarify how and why the assignment was graded in a particular fashion. Communication can be more difficult in an online course, and a face to face course. Rubrics help to clarify expectations and to help prevent miscommunication or misunderstanding on how assignments have been graded. Rubrics can also make the grading process more standardized and speed up the feedback process.

Laura,

It does help setting expectations and minimize miscommunication, as long as they fit the expectation and the outcomes!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I am an instructor in the "Art" world so by the nature of art, I have a particularly tough time with Rubrics. However, in an online environment where I cannot be within walking distance of my students, a Rubric can, if implemented properly, be useful for a student to potentially resolve a question.

This tool gives them a base upon which to build their projects from and hopefully exceed the expectations of the Rubric.

Fred,

That is a great way to describe the rubric. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Since rubrics have the ability to list specific areas that will be graded and how much weight each area has on the final grade, students cannot claim that they are suprised by the assessment or that the professor in question has any online favorites.

Also... since there are quite a few non-traditional students, a rubric can remind of the areas that will be needed for the course and, in case of my own class (Comp), areas that are needed for *every* course.

This could add further meaning to the class objectives and entise the student to improve upon weak areas as indicated by the rubric.

Rubrics serve as a guideline for students to complete their required task effectively. When I was an online student, grading rubrics helped me complete my assignments in a timely manner.

As an instructor, grading rubrics help me provide students with adequate feedback on their tasks.

Antoinette,

You are right. Don't you think that your experience as an online student changes the way you create rubrics for your online course?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes ! Being an online student have definitely changed the way I create and view rubrics for my online courses. I feel students perform better on tasks when they know what their up against.

Antoinette,

Right on! When we see it from the students' perspective, we learn a lot! Also, when everyone understands the expectations, everyone benefits. Thanks!

A rubric is a clear and identifiable yard stick that the online student can check with prior to submitting their assignments. If the rubric is well designed, the student knows exactly what the instructor is grading on. This decreases some of the tension related to remote learning.

Jocelyn M. Dervis

Jocelyn,

You are spot on with your comments. I love anything that reduces tension. ;-)

Rubrics are essential to help evaluate a student so that he can identify his own weaknesses and can then improve upon them.

Once established, rubrics can increase an assessment's construct and overall validity by in essence,creating an alignment of evaluation in accordance with standards, curriculum and/or instruction. In addition, rubrics can assist learners in setting goals before the direction of their work and hold them accountable for their learning and performance. It is argued that rubrics allow instructors to spend less time constructing quantitative and qualitative feedback while at the same time, allowing learners to better gauge their performance and make necessary adjustments across time.

Jade Pumphrey

Christina,
I have to agree with your and think that is is really the roadmap for the student to use. I think that the rubric should be posted to allow the student to use it as a guide..
Theresa

Ed,

And are essential for instructors too. It is all good!

Sign In to comment