Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics are a guideline to make sure that isntructors are consistent themsleves in evaluatin student performance, but also manage the expectations of the students.

They can be helpful, but can also be limiting. At one of my schools, the rubric provides a certain percent alloted to format of papers and citations. While I recognize the importance of these, in some of my classes, it is much more important students focus on the content of the course. I find that students end up spending more time on formatting just to earn a couple extra points, than they do on researching and writing. perhaps this is because they feel that the formatting is somethign they can fix more easily?

From an instructor perspective, sometimes a defined rubric like this fosters instructor attention on the wrong things as well, and takes us away from the purpose of educating students?

But rubrics are absolutely essential.

Gwenda,

You make a great point; we have to educate students on the purpose and the usage of rubrics. I think we have forgotten the teaching part of assessment. We have to teach students how to use the assessment tools to improve their learning. We had to learn!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics has saved the day on many occasions. It helps students to see that you are grading fairly.

It definitely helps level the playing field and gives the student guidance as to what key points you will marking them on. Love them as it makes it easier on us to grade also!

Dara,

You are right, and it provides expectations for students. I do remind them that a rubric was minimums. . . a C. If they want an A or B on the assignment, they must go BEYOND the rubric. They don't always see that.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Cally,

It does make us a more consistent grader. Students really do like them.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think they are important because it shows the students how they have done in a specific class and it shows them what they need to do in order to get better during a class and after a class is completed.

I think it is great for students to have an understanding of what is to be expected of them before they begin an assignment. This also allows them to look back at the rubric to see what they can do in the future to improve their grades. I think this is a great technique for assisting students in getting to where they want to be in your course.

Elie,

You are right, we talk expectation and the rubric provides it to the student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Lauren,

You are right, a rubric is a great tool for the student. It also insures that the instructor is grading certain things consistently.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics will let the students know upfront, what is expected of them. It allows the students to see a breakdown of their project/assignment. It also allows the students to see where their strengths and weaknesses are. I use them on all of my assignments!

Emory,

You are right. They do help the student structure their work if they use them right! I do think we need to educate students regarding using them to their advantage.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As many have agreed in this thread, rubrics are advantageous to both the student as well as the online educator. The student sees exactly what expectations there are for the assignment and what concepts/skills the instructor finds crucial to grasp in the assignment. At the same time the instructor has a firm guideline as to how he/she will be grading the assignments equalizing the basis of which they will be evaluating a students work.

Tim,

You are right! It can be the great equalizer in grading! Great post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Grading rubrics are important for students and instructors. They allow the students to know the expectations for each element that will be considered as the instructor grades the assignment/assessment. Rubrics help instructors by keeping you focused on the same elements and weighting for all students, providing you with a basis where you can easily determine a grade and defend it if needed.

I believe that a professor should be confident in the subject that he or she is teaching-enough so that a rubric is not needed.
A rubric keeps everyone boxed into just 1 way of doing something. It stops creativity and uniqueness from student to student.

Angela,

They really do help. It is amazing that we will use them all the time in online but won't use them as much in f2f!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Ben,

That is true, but how do you define expectations of the students. i think we have to make sure that we have a level playing field.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, it is great for the students to know how they are being graded. Also, as an instructor, I find the rubrics invaluable so that each of us instructors that are teaching the same course are all grading using the same rubric. No mystery for anyone.

Julie,

You are right! It is also a great tool to use to ensure accountability in matching broader goals and outcomes. I wish others would use it. . . . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment