Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Three criteria: 1) how well does it assess the learning outcomes? This depends on the type of class and learning activities. So, you can have a lesson that first teaches content, then moves to use of content. A test of concepts / content might be done with a quiz. A performance based assessment such a project review would follow.

2) How well will it fit our platform and the technology requirements we have posted for students? If it does not meet our stated technology requirements then it won't work well.

3) Am I using a variety of assessments for different learning styles, and to assess critical thinking, not just rote memorization. Higher level thinking and assessment are important in college, I think. Thanks. Lyn Hoffmann

When assessing technology, I look at:

1) My students level of understanding for the technology that will be used. If it is over theirds, then it is not appropriate.

2) The cost factor of the technology. Is it an additional cost to the course ? If so, how much?

3) Does the technology assessment tool effectively find out if the students have learned the dsired information.

Respectfully submitted,
Marjorie Thrall Moller

Most of this has been covered in previous posts, so I'll try to bring a slightly different perspective. Supporting the learning objectives is the priority. If the tool doesn't support the requirement, it shouldn't be used. Second, the tool must be easily understandable and usable. If students or the instructor struggle with understanding or utilizing the tool, again, it is counterproductive. Third, the tool must provide meaningful feedback. I subscribe to Keep it simple. Don't use too many features or try to make it usable for every device or software out there. Set the hardware and software requirements for the institution and make it compatible for the posted required technology.

I have already responded to this discussion board question. Thank you for sharing this question with me.

Sincerely,
Marjorie Thrall Moller

When assessing the use of technology assessment tools in an online learning environment, it is important to consider:
the value-add of the tool itself
(does it make the assessment easier, faster, more accurate through its use than without its use), the consistency of use
(does it provide a way to assess assignments whose results are consistent, reliable and robust)
and ease of use (is it possible to train users for accurate use).

Suzanne

Hello Kelly,
When I evaluate technology assessment tools, I look at:

1. The effectiveness of the all of the tools together: I want to combine tools in such a way that they account for multiple types of learning styles.

2. Ease of assessment for the instructor: Am I able to accurately assess a student’s understanding and ability in a particular topic. An assessment that is too easy to complete may not provide the ability to provide appropriate feedback to the student.

3. Ease of assessment for the student: An assessment that is to hard to complete from a student perspective may inhibit students from performing their best and may lead to an incorrect conclusion concerning the student’s ability

Sincerely

Jim

Chris,

Thank you very much for your post. The ability of a student to use an assessment tool with the technology that they have available is an important issue that I did not think about. It is a fact that online students do not all have access to the same level of technology. This makes it critical that instructors use assessment tool which can be accessed by all students.

Excellent Post!

Jim

@kellywilkinson

DIANA WILSON wrote:

"What I believe to be the three most important things to consider when assessing the use of technology assessment tools.

1. Ease of the tool for the student
2. FAQs on troubleshooting problems
3. Getting feedback from the student to make the necessary changes"

That has been my experience, too. We teach students at all levels of tech abilities and we never want working thru the assessments to be a major undertaking. It should stay in the background.

Technology to assess stuent comprehension can create other issues as well. If the student experiences some technical difficulty, is not focused when taking the asessment or thinks it counts but it doesn't (or vice versa), can be problematic. Whatever the circumstances are that create an outcome that discourgaes the student (rather than encourage) can have unintended (negative) consequence when the opposite was the outcome by providing "ease of techniology".

You have to make sure that it is appropriate, fair, and consistent.  Students should be able to understand the feedback provided.  That is why I favor track changes and the comment feature in Word.

Sign In to comment