Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online versus Traditional Education

The one thing that I don't like about online education is the solitary nature of it.  I have always enjoyed making friends in a class and becoming study buddies with them throughout a course.

Hi Amy!

I like the idea of a "study buddy".  This might be something we can promote in an online enviroment, for example, in the discussions, encouraging students to reach out and begin networking and communicating with their peers. We can advise them to use their student lounge to exchange emails and phone numbers so they can help one another as they progress through their courses. This type of support helps to eliminate some of the isolation they may experience. We might also share that we did this as well as online students, and how it helped us to be more successful. Sharing our personal stories and struggles as online students helps to create a bond between the instructor and student, which enables them to view us as a real person, as opposed to a faceless name. Once we can make a connection with a student, perhaps on a personal level, they are more apt to communicate with us on a regular basis. This has been my experience anyway. :)

My challenge has been in a online setting to find a way to communicate everything I want my student(s) to learn through typing. There are non verbal cues and other forms of communication that hel enhance the learning environment. Online does challenge that belief. 

Sign In to comment