Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Section 508

As an online instructor, how would you work with the Office of Disability Services?

As an online instructor, I would reach out to the Office of Disability Services at the beginning of each term and ask them if any students on my roster had requested special accomodations recently or in the past. The Office of Disability Services should proactively reach out first, but in the online learning environment it is important to double-check so that nothing falls through the cracks.

Parrish,
It is also good to talk with the Office throughout the term because students with disabilities may come to the forefront any time during the term not just at the beginning.

Renee Shaffer

You would work with the office of disability services by asking them if there are any special accommodations needed for any of the students in your current classes. Thank you. M. Crowley

Michael,

It is also important to note that you might need to check with the office several times during the term because there may be some late "stragglers" getting their documentation in, etc. when seeking accomodation. It may come at midterm.

Renee Shaffer

I would work with them by making sure I know about all of my students that have disabilities. I want to make sure that everything is accessible to them and that I understand what needs to be done in the course.

Kara,
Remember to that sometimes students are in the middle of the class before they sign up with the disability services office so try to be proactive when developing your course materials.

Renee Shaffer

Parrish, as a disability coordinator at a college, I will caution you that even if you request such information from the Disability Office unless the student has requested accommodations for your class, this information will not be provided. In other words, if you are teaching a speech course and the student has a disability that requires extended test time, that student may not feel that it is necessary to disclose the disability for your class since there will be no tests. The Disability Office cannot inform you of any students with disabilities unless the student has requested an accommodation for your class.

Dolores

Ms. Shaffer:

In order to better prepare, I believe that the student would have a smoother transition if the Instructor was aware of the disability, prior to the start of the course. The Office of Disability Services should communicate with the Instructor before the course begins, and especially during the course, in case a reminder is needed on the legalities of having a disabled student.

As an instructor, I would ensure that I have the e-mail address saved in the address book, and the phone number handy, so that the Office can be contacted at any time. In addition, in my experience, I took the time to read through the 'special accommodations' required, so that I am familiar with the rules, even before the course begins.

Cheers
Emry

Emry,

It is also a good idea to communicate with the Disability Office before the course begins even if they don't know yet that a student with a disability will be in your course. They can give you some helpful hints or ideas to make your course materials accessible even if you don't need it.

Renee Shaffer

In our college we have an ADA coordinator that notifies us of students with disabilities in our classes. The students that need accommodations are given what they need if they ask. We are not told what their disability is unless the student wants to share that with us, we are just notified that we need to accommodate them if they request it. We are encouraged to contact the coordinator if we have any questions about the student and their needs. I currently have two students with disabilities in my class and I allow them extra time to get their work done as necessary.

I would work the Office of Disability Services to determine what I can and cannot do by law, access, and ability to assist students with both identified and unidentified disabilities in my classroom. As I explained in my Forum 1 post, I believe fear of offending has prevented me from being more proactive in the past - which is not a practice I wish to continue going forward.

You provide interesting insight from your position as disability coordinator for a college, Dolores. It would be better to learn from this office what can and cannot be shared regarding students with disabilities than potentially violate a campus policy or law by attempting to glean the information directly from the student.

First, they are the ones that will decide the accommodations that are made. Then I would also work with them to make sure my course is friendly to those with disabilities.

This is a great question!

1) I would first try to know the laws, rules, and guidelines pertaining to student disabilities. Getting to know the people in the Office of Disability will help me to create rapport, ask them questions, run ideas past them, etc.

2) When I am assigned a student who needs accommodation, work with the Office to be sure that the plan developed is the best plan, as well as to be sure it adheres to our institutional guidelines and state and federal laws.

and, 3) Provide the Office with feedback from my own experiences of what worked well and what might need changing to better help our students achieve their academic goals.

I need to get to know our Office of Disability more...thanks everyone for your ideas on this DB!
Karen B.

Karen,
Great ideas. Working before, during and after the term with the Office of Disability Services can really build rapport. Don't forget to contact them after just in case you can receive some feedback from them. they will be "impressed"! :)

Renee Shaffer

I would at make sure I have direct contact with the Office of Disability Services at the beginning of each course to ensure I was aware of the requirements. Laws changed all the time and I want to make sure I am up to date with the current information. I would also make sure I included the Office of Disability Services information within my course content so that the students who needed the information could have it.

We also have an ADA coordinator at my school and she sends us emails to let us know of students with disabilities. We have to adhere to the rules outlined that there office has already made accommodations for. I try to make sure I keep the lines of communication open with her to ensure the student receives everything they need.

wyshondia,
Very good ideas. Many times you will have students who would qualify for disability services but don't know about it.

Renee Shaffer

I would want to coordinate efforts with the Office of Disability Services to understand what they can bring to the table to accommodate students. I would rely on the experience of the office to assist me in preparing my classroom and instruction not only to comply with the law but to take advantage of lessons learned and progress that has been made to accommodate and educate disabled students. I think that students should be self-advocates in their progress toward an higher degree, but that they must also be aware that policies and procedures at the university are intended to help, not hinder, all students toward that end. I also think that the Office of Disability Services should be a key source of information for instructors and the students in the intent and execution of the law, as well as changes on the horizon.

Sign In to comment