Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment of Use of Blogs

As an online instructor, how would you assess students' use of blogging?

I'd use the following:

1. how often the student posts
2. how relevant the post was to the topic
3. how well the post gets others involved in the discussion
4. the students tone and respect for other participants.

To assess a student's use of blogging I would analyze the frequency of blogs and responses. I would also evaluate the content provided in each student post.

I would have to say that I would assess the students content, and the frequency or amount of participation in the blog as a rule. I would also consider the observance of the rules of engagement or netiquette.

I would say that quality is more important than quantity. The amount of participation is not as critical as making a significant, accurate post.

Robin ,
These are great assessment points. I can see creating a rubric from those points.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Shenita,

Great suggestions for a great rubric. I think you have to evaluate content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Amy,

I think you add an important point and that is the professionalism of the post. Good post!
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Miriam,

I agree, quality is so important. I do think it is important to measure accuracy and maybe citing others.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would assess what the student brings to the topic...hopefully, something meaningful that we all can learn from. I would also observe consistency, professional communication, and their involvement.

Guerda,

yes, Would you create a rubric with these criteria.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

To assess students use of blogging I would assess the regulary written comments to see is they are communicating as part of the community by sharing ideas and reflections on the content information. This can be seen by the numbers of blog posts or reflections. I would also assess the goals set to see if all were achieved

Gwendolyn,

Would you use a rubric to measure the blog?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Assessment of student participation, online behavior, and comprehension of subject matter would be key factors in evaluating the student.

Joan,
Yes it would. Would you use a rubric as a way to address these issues?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The content and how it is connected with the main points of the course would be the most important. Since blogging involves an unlimited amount of characters, I would also review for the quality of writing. Although I would not expect formal writing as with a submitted essay, I would expect that students would be practicing good grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills in their blog posts. Finally, I would assess the outside sources they use and link to in their blogs. I would see blogs as a means for their getting beyond the classroom materials and exploring the topics themselves.

Rebecca,

You identify many items that should be assessed. Would you use a rubric?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I would assess a student's use of blogging by the content of the information and how often they blog. Also, in the content, I would note if any reflection is taking place.

Belinda,

Would you use a rubric to assess it?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Assessment of Blogs would have to depend on the purpose of the assignment. The purpose of Blogs can be many. I could be to put forth a specific point, express facts or just express one's deepest personal feelings. With respect of the first two assessment can be based on content and whether required points have been properly and accurately addressed. For the third, I would have to say assessment should be based on pure effort and willingness to express one's thoughts openly.

Sign In to comment