Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gemma ,

True. Also, if you can record it you can save it for other courses and at other times. This is a great way to make an online course real to an online student.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I like this idea and may use it with my classes.

I really like the idea of limiting posts to the 140 characters as it allows students to demonstrate understanding of content in a short, concise message. Too often we look for long posts to create to show understanding. I love the idea of "show me what you understand in 140 characters or less." Or, argue this point amongst yourselves in 140 characters or less.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher,

Nice strategies. I found students really struggle with writing concisely as they are not taught that. It is a great tool for writing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Since many experts have microblogs it allows the students to directly follow their latest ideas and thoughts on a subject. It allows them to move beyond the classroom and to be engaged in the world at large.

Thomas,

I like to use it that way too. I often use them to start a discussion. It is a great way to engage.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

One way I can see facilitating this is being aware of who the experts are in your field, following them on your own and connecting students to these experts, either through something like retweet or inviting students/encouraging students to follow the expert as well. I kind of like to think that it is the teacher teaching the student how to seek out their own information so they can be teaching him or herself once out of school and in the field.
Stephanie

Stephanie,

You are right, it is the way students will connect to others in their field professionally. It is the tool that makes you feel you are not alone. That is pretty powerrful.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Students usually have multiple roles that they are juggling. Having precise and specific information in one area may help solidify the instructions of assignments or reiterate what they are supposed to be doing for that week. Digital audio or short videos have been helpful.

As has been mentioned, and I do agree, the limit in characters is effective. We can leverage this to ensure student answers are more targeted. I've see a lot of attempts at a shotgun approach...hoping the answer is somehow covered in a mountain of text.

I would ask students to follow at least one expert in the field that we are studying and then someone who has experience in that area. This could be another professor who is specializing in that field. The students would need to provide their commentary based on the Tweets of the experts. Then the students would need to provide a new twist on the information. This would facilitate their higher order thinking skills.

Sign In to comment