Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social Media

There are some advantages and disadvantages of social media in the classroom. The advantage is a more innovative method of learning, a disadvantage is the generation gap of learning new jargon.

Regina ,

True, but how could you use it in a course that makes it worthwhile to learn? Students need to know the role of social media in the professional life.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I see social media as being mostly positive as it can help bridge connections, facilitate discussions and foster technical skills. As long as the user is respectful and contributes in an appropriate way social media can only enhance learning.

Dawn,

You make a great point. We need to teach students to separate the professional and their personal lives and this is a skill that many students don't have.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I agree with you, Regina. I think that one of the biggest downfalls of social media being incorporated into a classroom is the security and privacy issues that come along with it. Confidentiality and privacy are very big issues within social media because of issues such as posting personal information online. As educators, we should take responsibility to educate our students about the security and privacy issues of posting person information online. Identities need to be protected, and if this is not followed, social media has the potential to be a huge liability in learning, and risk being taken away from school systems. :-)

Willie ,

You make a great point. You have to be aware of the security and privacy issues. Students need to know the purpose of the tool before using it. I have had students asked for their facebook login information during a job interview. That was an eye opener.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Can anyone list social media places besides facebook ( which I hear is for "old" people) twitter ( too short)
LInked in ( too profeshional)

Sign In to comment