Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Effective Time Management

How do you tell your students to manage their time for their courses? Is it effective? What success rates have you found?

Letrice,

I create calendars that can be used in any phone or calendaring system to get them used to using that type of system. I have tutorials on how to create their own project calendars and talk to them about time management. If I can get it in their phone it works better.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I am a tutor, not an instructor, so I tend to meet with students who are struggling and frequently already behind in their work. What seems to work initially is meeting on a weekly basis and going through every assignment for every class and having the student WRITE a realistic schedule, taking into account other commitments, sleeping schedule, realistic time requirements for each assignment, etc. If assignments are already overdue, we prioritize in order to avoid perpetuating the problem. After doing this for a mod or two, students usually come to understand the effectiveness of physically writing a schedule and are better able to manage their own time.

Victoria,

Thank you for your comments! We have started making all of our freshmen take a workshop on how to use the Outlook Calendar and how to plan an assignment and to put it into a calendar. This has really helped in planning for assignments. What you do is so important about a realistic schedule. Most students underestimate the time it takes to complete an assignment well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

During our first Live Chat I ask students what are their best practices for successful online learning? In that way it gives them a chance to collaborate together instead of me just setting standards or practice.

What I have found is that students that complete tasks ahead of schedule find success in the classroom easier.

Then when things happen and they do have to do something last minute there is not as much to complete.

What has been your experience?

Jean Graham

Jean,

What a great idea! That is such a powerful way to create community and give students great tools for online learning. Have you thought having your students give feedback to the next set of students coming into your online course regarding what made them successful? What they would change regarding their habits? Wouldn't that be interesting and a great assessment tool for you.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, a good idea but very difficult to implement.

The courses are only 5 weeks and getting previous students to come back to a Gen Ed class would require special access issues, etc.

It is easier to just be spontaneous and in the moment since the courses are so short.

Jean

Jean,

Five weeks is a short class period. You don't have much "wiggle" room regarding learning in the course. That is a challenge.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I encourage students to write down all of their due dates in a calendar, or put them in their phones. I put a class expectation letter in my announcement section at the beginning of class that helps them get an idea of all that is expected of them. This seems to help for some students.

Gracie,

I began sending students an electronic calendar with dates in it. It seems to help students begin to use the calendar.
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Although Online courses are challenging, they provide students an opportunity to work at their own pace and to work with others. Besides effective time management skills, students who take online course must be committed to meet stiff deadlines. However, procrastination is the number issue with online courses freedom.

m,

Great point, with freedom comes responsibility! Students need to understand this is a student centered/student responsible environment. They are masters of their domain; even in online learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I really like this idea. We are struggling with helping students improve time management. I will suggest to Instructors to create a calendar for students with due dates at the beginning of the semester and tell them to put it in their phones or computers. Google Calendar has an option that send an email and text message reminding you of the event.

I generally, try and relate to my students through my experience with time management. I also encourage them to find a time that works with their schedules being early morning or late at night. They need to set aside that time and work on their studies. I find that students appreciate this advice and seem to get back on track.

I like the idea of helping students with a calendar and really taking the steps to map out a schedule that works for them.

Sign In to comment