Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self Analysis

It is important for a student to learn and know their strengths and weaknesses. It is also important for the instructor to know this as this will help ensure we can get the student pass the hurdles.

Terri,

Great points. This is such an efficient way a providing that extra support that many students need.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Most people do not know their strengths and weaknesses. This is because most people are barely conscious. This is an unfortunate situation, but it is the reality. Self-awareness is a higher level activity, just like self-actualization. Even instructors have a difficult time knowing their strengths and their weaknesses. I'm not sure that this is possible in an online environment for the simple reason that there is not enough time to gather the appropriate information.

Donald,

Maybe we should do this in other parts of our life too! You are right, using these tools provides feedback that allows students to succeed using the tools that are their strengths and the areas to continue to work on.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Donald,
I think I understand your point. It is true that on average, many people are not self aware or in a habit of reflecting on their behavior or habits. However, I do find that students seem receptive when I prompt them to share their thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses in my course.

I typically ask for their input during a live chat mid course on what they find to be their biggest strength and biggest challenge in the work thus far. I share that I tend to find it easiest to learn with auditory and kinesthetic tactics, such as listening to key phrases and using pen and paper to write notes.

Although we may not be able to awaken some individuals, it seems to be worthwhile to make an attempt to start a conversation about strengths, even if it is an oversimplified conversation at its start.

Sincerely,
Eugenia

Eugenia,

Great post. My goals are to reach all but that is a two way street. I have used a provocative scenario that is related to the subject to begin dialog. That can work also.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think it is very important for students to know their strengths and weaknesses. I teach full time at the high school level and adjunct in an online program. The one skill I see really lacking with my high school students is time management. Having been teaching at the college level in an online environment nearly nine years, I see this same issue with my online students. I must also admit that the time management issue- leading to knowing one's strengths and weaknesses- is also critical for any educator. I say this as we need to model appropriate skills and behavior. As an example, if I have a week to grade an assignment and post grades, I should not wait until the night the grades are due to begin. If I do so, I am not in a position to expect my students to submit their work early.

Rick,

That is true! They also underestimate the time it takes to complete an assignment. I agree we may exhibit these same behaviors when we grades sometimes. . .

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment