Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Self Advocacy

I find this (self advocacy) to be one of the greatest challenges with online learners. One would think because of the anonymity of online there would be less fear in reaching out. However, I have not found this to be the case. In order to get students to reach out and ask when they have questions and concerns, I have found that by sharing a personal experience with them directly (by phone) to be the greatest way eliminate this barrier. Letting them know that their questions are expected and appreciated, most importantly, early and often, will help them to be more successful in their class. I always explain, if you do not communicate, how can we help you? Communication is key to your success in school, just as it is when working as a professional in your chosen career.

Coleen,

Self-advocacy does seem to be an issue with online students.  Possibly using Social Media in online classrooms would break down emotional behaviors & encourage students to reach out more.

If a student can see an Instructor as a 'real person' rather than an 'authorative figure', then possibly more communication would occur, don't you think?

I wonder what the disadvantage would be if student's viewed their Instructors as 'real people'?

Hi Coleen,

I find it challenging with online learners in this area.  Because the student does not have the accountablility factor to an instructor like a face-to-face environment, it is easy for an online learnhr to hide.  If the student is not self motivated or reaches out or reaches back for help. they can beome disenchanted. THis situation leave little for an instructor to assit the student.

Thanks,

Letitia

Sign In to comment