Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

developing rubrics

i find the use of rubrics the most useful of all when it comes to grading. the helpful point for me is that is keeps me me to be more objective when considering the grading points and to track student progress. it took me awhile to be happy with the with rubrics that i developed, but now that i have them. i really enjoy using them.

Mark,

It does take awhile to create effective rubrics and get used to working with them, but when you have a good one, it's awesome. Thanks!

Would anyone be willing to share their rubrics?

Sarah,

I think I have already posted this, but email me at tcrews@sc.edu and tell me what kind of rubrics you need. I'm happy to share.

I agree. Rubrics are essential as it promotes fair grading for all students. I also refer my students to the rubric prior to completing an assignment. By reviewing the rubric, they're aware of what the assignment entails and how to avoid point deductions. Those students who have used the rubric find it very helpful.

M. Allen

Mamie,

Right. Rubrics serve many purposes. They are not just for assessment. Thanks.

This was a must for me. When I began teaching online courses and was introduced to rubrics (yes this was the first time I had heard or seen them)I found it a little difficult to put together one. With pratice and experience they have become a staple in my courses. My first go around with courses was rough as there were no rubrics and I felt my grading was so subjective and therefore very frustrating and time consuming. Now that I have rubrics life is much better and grading is much easier and objective. Strongly recommend these for everyone.

Dawn Huber

What type of classes do you teach? I design my rubrics very specifically and probably a little different then the examples you have seen. Mine are very specific to the assignment itself. Would be glad to offer an example of how I would put one together if you want to pop me an assignment you have to grade.

Dawn Huber

Dawn ,

Love rubrics. They help students and the instructor. Thanks.

Dawn ,

Dawn ,

Please provide any examples you can. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Take the module (EL09) on rubrics. I found it helpful. There are fabulous sites that help in making rubrics. Check this out: http://www.rcampus.com/rubricshellc.cfm?mode=gallery&sms=publicrub&sid=4&

David,

Thanks for the resource and information about EL09.

Take care.

I think the key factor in using a rubric is consistency. Student know what to expect and the rubric provides a grading framework to ensure that I am comparing "apples to apples".

The shortcoming of a rubric is evident when a student performs outside the rubric. Either by writing a post that is so of course or one that takes the conversation in different direction for the positive. When that happens it requires some grading creativity.

Ralph,

Good point. We do want to be consistent in what we evaluate and how we evaluate. It will help the student in the long run.

Mamie, I agree with you; rubrics should be shared with the students (not kept from them). I am an adjunct in a graduate program where the published rubric, and the one we actually have to use are different, and the one the grade is based on is quantity driven rather than quality driven. I think if a student's grade is based on a rubric, they should be able to see it and know the categories.

Patricia and Mamie,

Right on. the rubrics should be designed to help both the students and the instructor. Thanks for sharing.

I think it provides the students structure and consistency. Outcomes are fair.

Brenda,

I agree and structure and consistency are good. It also helps the instructor grade more fairly and reassess the project and learning outcomes as well. Thanks!

Sign In to comment