Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Does the type of course make a difference

I teach accounting and in my accounting discussion forums I find that when I do not respond immediately my students feel they have the incorrect answer. Does how timely we answer our students depend on the type of course?

Traci,

I encourage students to respond to their peers and I provide a little extra credit to encourage them even more. That way, if I don't get them to them as quickly as they may think I should, someone else already has. I use the 24 hour rule on feedback to postings.

Good question and I think it makes a big difference in my economics classes I don't think the speed of the response is very important. With my accounting classes I actually try to delay my responses a few hours. I find that many times when a student does not get an answer from me right away they keep working on the problem and many times when I do get back to them I get a "thanks but I got it" response. Cheers, Dennis McGuckian

Dennis,

Each course is different and we learn from experience. It seems that you have developed an effective system for each course. Thanks!

I think timely feedback can be very important. Especially when students have made an incorrect assumption (I am a climate scientist and this happens all the time), too much delay in correction and the wrong answer sticks in their head better than the correct one!

kelli,

Another good point. The faster we disseminate the correct information, the better. Thanks.

Based on your experience, it sounds like it does. With courses such as accounting, statistics, math -- where there is an absolute 'correct' answer, students may anticipate a response quicker to know if they are right or wrong. However, in other subjects, where there are not absolute answers, students may be more relaxed and able to wait to see your response to their post.

Michelle,

You make a very good point. The subject matter and what feedback is needed may very well determine the speed of feedback needed. Thanks!

Maybe not only the type of course but also the type of assignment being completed. I can see how in accounting and math courses one might get a little nervous if a reply is not received soon. Maybe this is where guidelines for receiving an answer back should be noted so as not to get the students anxious when they do not see a response when they are expecting one. My grading is done specifically on two days out of the week and this is related to the students. Again learn from past experience and mistakes. Prior to implementing and providing the students with this information I would get E-mails stating "Did you receive my assignment", "Why is my assignment not graded" etc.. Having these guidelines known from day one of the course really cuts down on the amount of E-mails regarding the grading of assignments.

Dawn Huber

I also believe that some type of answer can be sent out to the waiting student immediately. For instance, if I'm working with a student on their resume and I haven't had time that week to review the edits the student has completed, I always send an email explaining that I've received it and give them a timeline as to when I'll reply. As an Advisor to 250+ students, there are many instances where it can take longer to reply in depth to students. I find if I let them know it's been received, it reduces the anxiety. In the online environment, especially when communicating via email, most of us just want to know the email has been received.

Dawn ,

Right. The content/tpye of assignment plays an important role. Thanks.

Linda,

Good point. Just letting students know their assignment has been received is helpful. Thanks.

Traci,
I have not had that experience. But then again I don't teach accounting. If I do not respond right away, and a student really feels insecure about their post, they will usually send me an e-mail.

Dale,

Many times the content of the course does plan a significant role. Accounting may be the key factor. Thanks!

Traci:

Does the type of course make a difference? Absolutely! - not so much in the timeliness of response but the level of instructor participation. I think students will prefer an immediate response irrespective of discipline; but the nature of math and science courses is such that instructors are expected to be the proverbial "sage on the stage" and be more active in the discussions even in an online environment. In a social science course, however, instructors can be the "guide on the side" and play less of a central role in the dicussions since there is not necessarily a "right answer" but a well argued point of view. What do you think? Ricardo

RICARDO and Traci,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Students appreciate meaningful feedback and when it's more immediate, they like it better. Thank you.

Effective communication combines a set of skills including nonverbal communication, attentive listening, the ability to manage stress in the moment, and the capacity to recognize and understand your own emotions and those of the person you’re communicating with students.

Thank you,
Prof Davis

Christopher,

You consistently remark on effective communication. It cannot be said enough. Thanks for continuing the conversation.

Hi Traci: I teach pharmacy math for an online school. Students who think that way might have low self-confidence towards math, and I don't think an immediate response would change anything. I would definitely invite the student to attend my office hours group session where I could review problems with them. This one-on-one interaction has helped to build confidence for many of my students.

Troy,

Being available and giving students options on how to communicate and work with you is great. Students many times need that one-on-one help. Thanks!

Sign In to comment