Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Group work

How do you go about setting up guidelines for group work?

lisa,

I use a peer evaluation sheet in addition to the rubric used for whatever group project they are working on. With the peer review, they get to assess themselves and each of the other group members. The peer evaluation plays a part in individual grades. It works for me.

I like publishing “Expectations” that students see as they have access to the course. (This is normally 2-3 days before the course begins. That document includes guidelines for group projects and may look something like the following:

Small Groups
1. The course instructor will assign the small groups. The group is responsible for electing the group chairperson.

2. The teams themselves will be responsible for delegating tasks and assignments amongst the group. The team chairperson may be responsible for task allocations if the team agrees.

3. It is expected that all team members participate in the group assignments. There is no make- up work for nonparticipation in the team project. To further clarify, group assignments cannot be turned in late.

4. Based on participation levels, individuals may receive a different grade for the Group Project. Grades are based first on the quality of your individual contribution, including your team collaboration activities and second, on the quality of the team's deliverable.

The team will be responsible for completing a weekly team rating form after each group assignment. Since the discussion board (and possibly the team “Submitted Assignments”) will serve as supporting evidence for the team rating forms, please utilize these methods of communication (rather than e-mail and voicemail). The scores on the team rating form, along with your visible participation in the Small Group area will help me to determine your individual contribution grade.

5. Teams must agree on due dates for all of the deliverables. A recommended schedule is as follows:

a. First posting from each individual by Tuesday midnight of the project week

b. Editorial postings among the team during the week.

c. Evaluation of proposed solutions by Thursday midnight

d. Draft proposals of solutions for each scenario by Friday night. Editing can be done on Saturday.

e. As a group, build a solution to the issues presented and prepare a Group Presentation addressing a solution to each.

f. Finalize all work by midnight on the due date.

ALL group work must be done in the group area. I cannot grade e-mails though you may communicate that way or by phone. Unless specifically instructed, DO NOT submit individual portions of the group project anywhere other than the Small Group area. I suggest a DB thread be set up for each participant on the group DB.

NOTE: You do not submit a deliverable for the group project to YOUR Submitted Assignments (except the peer evaluation.) All Work will be completed on the GROUP DISCUSSION BOARD. Group solutions to the scenario(s) go in the GROUP SUBMITTED ASSIGNMENTS…..DO NOT POST THEM IN YOUR OR OTHERS’ SUBMITTED ASSIGNMENTS.

All students must participate in the Group assignment and all portions of that project must be turned in before the project deadline. There will no credit given for individual assignments that are submitted in-lieu of the group assignments. There will be no credit given for late submissions of individual work turned in and intended as part of the Group project.

I also use Peer Evaluations which students submit at their option. I use those to verify what I have seen as far as group participation. The evaluation may also point to communication problems between/among students or an inability to “get along” with one or more members.

George,

Thanks for your thorough input in this forum. I also email and post information for my students prior to the course. I typically "open" the course one week before the course starts and ask student to become familiar with the course layout, be proactive in their questions and introduce themselves. I also use peer evaluations for group work. Just because a group of students works on a project/assignment does not mean they all deserve the same grade. Through this peer evaluation, they receive individual grades. I ask students to submit all assignments by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday. I know I am available on Tuesday to answer questions during my office hours and on Thursday I'm in the office to grade papers. If you give midnight as the due date, you better be awake and online at 11:50 p.m. to get that last minute question. Everyone has to determine their own best time to assign a due date. I also keep the same due day/time for every assignment. Typically they have something due every Wednesday or every other Wednesday (depending on how long the course is) at 5:00 p.m. Thanks for your input.

Group work is very unique, especially in an online environment. I agree with many of the things that George said, however I would like to put in my two cents on peer evaluations.

I also believe that these are helpful, but I think they are very important in the grading process. I find that, especially in online classes, one student will do most of the work and be resentful when non-participating members earn the same grade on a project. The peer evaluations can be used to see how each student felt about their participation and their group members' participation. While this should not be weighted heavily in the grading process, I feel that the students' perceptions should account for a part of the score.

Linnea,

I agree. I use peer evaluations. I give students opportunities to self-assess and peer-assess. I think it's good to have students think about what they did personally and what others have done. They can learn from others as they are completing peer assessments. Thanks for your input.

As a student in traditional classrooms, I never liked it when we had to do peer evaluations. However, I do think that it probably works well in online courses. Without a face-to-face, personal relationship with your group members, individuals can feel more comfortable giving accurate assessments of others. Online students probably feel that the peer assessments are their opportunity to voice their true feelings about participation in the project.

Kelly,

Thanks for pulling from your real experience. Now you know how students feel and you know how to explain it to students. The assessment process is important and involving students even more important. Thanks again.

I set up quite specific guidelines for students, best practices task lists. I don't use peer reviews, I feel that sets up students against each other, and that is exactly what I don't want to happen. I DO grade students individually, each student is assessed on their individual contributions to a group. I know that other instructors will assign a group grade, and I think that is also very valid, in the 'real world' you are graded on the final group product, though you might also be evaluated as to your individual contributions.

So I develop a rubic and set of guidelines that work together. Timeliness is always a part of my group guidelines.

Christine,

Love any type of "best practices" list. This can be for group work, professionalism, time management, etc. I use a combination of a project rubric and peer evaluation that allows for group evaluation and individual grade. It's important to recognize both matter. Nice job.

This is an interesting topic, so I will give it a shot. Group work is primarily just that, group work. Students understand the objectives of the assignment, and basically advised to work together toward that common goal.

Now there will be times conflicts will arise. For these instances, students are encouraged to work things out between themselves, but if not possible allow the instructor to intervene so learning will not be interrupted to any great extent.

I post instructions, ground rules, the purpose of group work, and expectations in the announcement board of the classroom. I also reiterate all of the information in the live chats. I encourage students to contact me one-on-one if there are any additional questions, and if requested by the student's, I will sit in on their group live chat sessions in order to address concerns and clarify the objectives of the group project.

Elton,

I have intervened in many group projects. But, use I use a peer evaluation that they complete at the midpoint of the group project and the end of the project. If there is an issue at the midpoint, they have to come to me and explain how they have tried to resolve the issue. It's helpful.

Tina,

Ground rules are expectations. Students need to understand the expectations. Keep up the good work and connect those expectations to the learning outcomes. Thanks!

I think group work is one of the most difficult assignments for many students.

We are used to working alone and succeeding on our own, and for many people, it is stressful to depend on others to succeed in an assignment.

I think it is helpful to give clear guidelines for how to work in the group, and how the group with be assessed.

Also, at least early in the assignment, check in with the group members to make sure everyone is actively engaged with the process.

Patricia,

You at right on target with your comments. The clear guidelines and checking in with students to make sure they are engaged are both essential for the success of the group. Thanks.

I also publish a List of Expectations at the beginning of all of my classes. It covers almost any question a student might have in regards to the course content and logistics. I have found that within the first week, which students that have read the Expectations and which ones that have not, due to the emailed questions to me.

Is there any way to mandate that the students say that they have read the List of Expectations?

- Dr. Eileen Wibbeke

Eileen,

It is important that everyone understand the course expectations. If they don't understand them, how will they meet them? You can give an electronic quiz on the expectations and if they do not pass the quiz, they cannot continue with future work. Many people do a syllabus quiz to make sure students read the syllabus. Thanks for your input.

Group assignments are tough. Students typically do not like them and they are much tougher in an on-line environment as the students are not all on one room. However I emphasize that having a good foundation of group skills is a great skillset to have as much of what they do at work is in a group setting. The challenges of a distributed group can be addressed by using technology such as confeence call, chats, and screen shares to work colaboratively.

Brian,

As an adult working in higher education, working in groups is difficult in my life. ;-) These group skills are so imporant. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment