Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I am very clear when setting up guidelines for group work. We discuss what social loafing and groupthink mean and then I identify the specific requirements of the group project. For example:

GROUP PROJECT (SMALL GROUP)

I explain that the group project represents a large part of the course requirements (xx% of your total grade).

Students understand in advance that participation group (chats & discussion boards) is vital and necessary for successful completion of the class.

All group situations (both academic & professional) require a measure of individual sacrifice and compromise. The same holds true in this class. I even go so far as to do peer assessments.

I constantly monitor chats and discussion boards to identify participation levels.

I make it clear that if students don’t participate in the group activity they will receive a zero “0” for that assignment.

Carla,

Right on! Set those expectations up right away and explain them. Half way through any group project, I have the students anonymously grade their peers and then provide overall feedback to the groups. This "wakes" some people up many times and they pull their weight before it's too late.

George,
I like the idea of peer evaluation, but how do you deal with evaluations that conflict? Student A says that Student B did not do any work. Student B, says the same thing about Student A. How to you deal with that?

Dale and George,

I have a peer evaluation in which each student assesses themselves and their peers in the group. There is an average then for each students and that factors into their individual grade. If there is a wide discrepancy, I have actually called the students individually to defend their evaluation. It gives me perspective. Also, the peer evaluations are anonymous to the other students. So, if I do make an adjustment, no one really knows.

I like what others have placed in the discussion. The only thing I would add is I like to have in their first part of the assignment a format of who is doing what work.

kevin,

Yes, many instructors provide roles tha students need to take on when working in groups.

Thanks.

I post an announcement in the group's forum that explains about what the expectations are for the group. I clearly communicate the need for the team to select a team leader and a back leader encase the team leader cannot fulfill his or her duties. I will go back and check for "missing in action" team members and e-mail them individually to let them know that their participation in the team assignment is needed and part of their grade. I will continue to monitor and communicate to the team that I have been in touch with the missing team members.

Tina Means

Tina ,

Nice job. I too assign duties to the team members. I typically have a leader, facilitator, recorder and reporter. It works for my student groups and me. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment