Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Text Speak

One of the biggest problems I've had in my course is students using text speak (lol, ttyl, gr8t) in their writing assignments. I've told them not to use it, but I've never actually written it down in a communication code of conduct. That's a great idea from this course, and I plan to have a communication code of conduct for all my future classes.

Miranda,

Everything has to be in writing. The syllabus can become very long, but details are good.

I try to provide students with examples of good and bad.

Good/bad discussion board posting.
Good/bad communication

etc. Thanks!

Prior to the class in the Announcement I make the student aware of the that courses project and/or tests. Also the need to respond to the two discussion questions and what an appropriate response is (relating to the course content).

I give them one warning of texting responses int the discussion thread reminding them that they would not respond to their supervisor in an email by texting. After the one warning, they are graded down.

Patricia,

Again, thank you for your input in these forums. Connecting the discussion board to the course content and keeping them communicating in a professional manner is excellent.

Yes, I even fall victim to the text-speak that I have to catch myself. It's important to advise them of the rules, and why they are the rules; ex. not everyone will know what you are saying, and how it hinders communication.

Nicole,

The point about hindering communication is key. It takes time to figure out what people are trying to say sometimes when they text. The examples and justification you provide to your students is important.

Nice job.

This brings up a compliance issue as some schools may not allow you to adjust the communication policy. I think instructors should check with the school admin before doing so. However I think you can bring it up to the students through a private message.

Yehia,

Yes, it's always good to start with school policy before making additional policies. Many times it depends on the course content as well. For example, when I teach business communication, I stress professional communication.

Text speak should be incorporated in a code of conduct. It promotes professionalism and sets the tone for the online class.

Donna,

Agreed. I put examples of appropriate discussion board posting (with and without text speak) and indicate which is appropriate and may be used in the the course discussions. Thanks!

I experience the same problem. Perhaps even helping your students distinguish between formal and informal communication as the line between the two is too grey or nonexistent for them; a teaching opportunity.

Victoria,

You are right. Teaching moment. Giving them examples of nonprofessional language and having them turn it in to professional language is a great way to do that.

I agree and it is getting worse. Most of the time they do not realize they are doing it. I go over the assignments and highlight areas for them to review. I actually find more of this text style writing in the discussion form because the students think it's ok to be more causal in there...but not that casual.

Melissa,

It is important to provide guidelines for communication and give students examples of proper and improper communication. Keep serving as a role model in your communication as well.

Hello Miranda,

When I teach my courses, we have all communications code of conduct provided by University.
I prefer to add my own rules of communication conduct then I create announcement.

Dr. Karina

Dr. Karina,

Code of conducts are very important. Nice job.

I don't directly address this issue in my class expectations (e.g. please don't use text speak), I have thought of doing it at various times. What I do now is tell students I am expecting them to write in a manner that would be appropriate in a business/professional setting, that is the level they are aiming for and I would like to see. And they seem to get this, I rarely have students who fall into text speak, it is usually more issues of poor writing skills.

Miranda,

The advice which comes to mind is to remind students that this is a professional evironment and is training for their career. In a professional setting text speak is not appropriate. I would also add the value of proper grammar and punctuation.

Christine,

Writing/discussing as you would in a professional environment is important to stress. Keep up the good work!

Tanya & Miranda,

Emphasizing the professinalism in all settings (writing, speaking, in class, out of class, etc.) is essential. We all need practice to become better. That includes being a professional as well.

Sign In to comment