Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I face that same challenge in my course as well especially in the discussion forum. I try to encourage my students to be respectful at all times and remember that we are in a formal learning environment despite our online avenue.
Also some students don't realize their texting habits until they start losing points for poor communication. One thing students loathe more than anything is losing points on their assignments. This might be a good deterrent to getting them to write properly.

Kimberly,

It is nice to know hat we all have similar problems as others. Mthanks for sharing.

"Text" speak has it's place, within an IM or chat forum. However it should not be used in the submission of any assignments including papers and discussion board assignments. I think that the overall ability to write a good, complete, coherent document that reads well from start to finish as the use of written documents has declined. I think the use of text speak has really contributed to this decline and I emphasize that the ability to write is a great skill to have out there in the "real world" and a skill that employers are looking for.

Brian,

Correct. It does have it's place and it's important for students to determine when it is appropriate. Nice job.

I have included the requirement to use plain English in all communication in my Course expectations. I have had students that are young and their major mode of communication is by text. Often they do not understand that they have even written in "text speak". There is a definite generational difference. The older students may not spell a word correctly, the younger students do not spell at all---they use text speak in their papers and discussion postings. It is certainly important to explain to the student that they have come to college to become professional. In college, they are being educated to work in a professional atmosphere, and as such, must know how to write and use proper English.

Linda,

Yes, encouraging professionalism and proper English is important. It's good to help students distinguish between situations which professional language must be used and when text speak can be used. Thanks for helping them with this distinguish.

One way I have learned to avoid having to write text to speech is to actually use a voice typing program. I think that a lot of times, we're just trying to take shortcuts when responding to one another- for the sake of time. You really will not have to worry about that when you're using voice typing program because you can get as much as eight times the amount of work (typing) done. In fact, I'm using a voice typing program to actually type this message and it's probably taken me less than 20 seconds to do so. You will also notice that I have not used any text to speech or acronyms in the process. Dragon NaturallySpeaking for PCs and on Mac dictate for Macs are where to go!

Miranda,

It is a great thing to put into the code of communication. For me this is also extended to the discussion board assignment, live chats, E-mails etc. I restrict text lingo in any and all communication within the course. I do this for two reasons:

- I am not totally familiar with the text lingo so half of the time I would not know what is being stated
- The English language has taken a huge step backwards and I feel these kids need to learn to establish communication with correct English (grammar and spelling)

William Huber

Jade,

Right on. This is an excellent tip. Thanks for sharing.

William and Miranda,

Thanks for adding to the conversation. Establishing the communication standards is important. Thanks again.

Reminding students about their audience is critical. There's a time and place for textspeak, and a college course is not it. Frequently, students treat instructors as they would their peers, but there needs to be a different level/tone of communication.

Along the same lines, students need to step back and analyze their email addresses, online names, and voicemail messages/ringback tones. If the goal of online courses is to obtain employment in a particular field, students have to exude a professional demeanor. Potential employers can use any number of factors to eliminate someone from the job pool, including inappropriate email, voicemail message, or public Facebook posts. Employers have an image to protect, so students must starting thing about the image they project.

Kristin,

You are right. We have all been in situations where we speak differently with our peers and family than we do in professional settings. It's important for students to understand the importance of professional communication. Thanks for your input.

I see this issue emerging rapidly. This is especially true in technical and vocational programs where students have minimal admission criteria. It appears to be most prevalent in the discussion board area of the course, however, I have seen this in essays as well.

This is something that needs mentioning in the communication code of conduct or they syllabus. Proper grammar is quickly becoming a part of the past with the writing of some of our students. Continual enforcement, reminders, and examples of proper written communication skills is the only way I know of to address this topic.

Angela,

We have to continue to explain to students the importance of professional communication and when text language is appropriate and when it is not. You are right in that it's a continual process. Thanks for continuing to try.

Sign In to comment