Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Welcome Calls- A way to connect with students?

In the past I have used welcome calls as a way to develop an initial connection and contact with my students. I have had both positive and negative feedback and reactions to these calls.
I find that it can be an effective tool, but it can also be very time consuming depending on class size and if contact is made- the amount of questions a student may have. It also allows the students to have a voice to put with a name.
Overall, I found it to be an effective tool and still use it from time to time.
Jorell Lawrence

Jorell,

Like many things we do, we get positive and negative feedback. Take that feedback and make it better. Nice job.

I like to send "welcome" e-mail. The welcome e-mail will communicate to the student all expectations for the class. A welcome call is good, but communicating everything in a phone call may not be as effective.

Diana,

The welcome email and how you communicate with students sets the stage for a professional educational environment. I don't use phone calling often either. Thanks!

Hello Diana,
I too like to like to send a welcome email. When this is done , I also include the course expectations and other tools that will help them to be successful from the beginning of the course.

Genieve

Genieve and Diana,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Making sure students understand the course expectations is essential. Nice job.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Personally, I prefer not to use the phone to contact students if at all possible. I find that many of my students do not like to be bothered by phone calls. I have much greater success and interaction using text messaging and emails. I make sure they know that they can pick up the phone any time if they feel it would be beneficial, but they rarely do. Most issues can be resolved with text or email.

Sarrah,

We all have our ways of communicating. I don't use the phone that much. I am available and they know where and when and we communicate a lot through the FAQ discussion board. Thanks for your input.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here Jorell. I have received mixed feedback on welcome calls also. Some students did enjoy the conversation, where other felt bothered by them. I do not use them like I used too, for students are more comfortable with emails or chats depending on their personal schedules.

Monique

Monique and Jorell,

It's interesting that you have had the same experience. It's also nice to know we are not alone in this process of teaching online. I don't call students, but try to send individualized emails to welcome as well. Thanks!

Diana,

I also find that a welcome email is helpful. It can be used to orient students to the course, provide helpful information, and ensure the student has your contact information. By sending it via email, the student can keep that information and if using their mobile device to check email, the student may even save your contact information. I encourage my students to save my contact information somewhere other than the online classroom because that way if they have issues with accessing it, they can still contact me. It is helpful in the case of weather issues, loss of internet access, etc.

Tanya

Tanya and Diana,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. When students feel welcome they begin to feel part of the community of learners. Thanks again.

I agree with you that I prefer not use the phone for welcome calls and the reason being is that I put a welcome message with course guidelines in a News Forum for students to respond if they like. I find that most often they post a "thank you for the information" and introduce themselves to myself and others as they are excited about starting their classes.

Gail ,

Many instructors to give a welcoming call. I personally don't, but I have about 225 students in one class. ;-) It would be mid-term before I got them called. Ha! I do a welcoming letter and introduce myself online. We all do this differently, but the key is to do it! Thanks!

Sign In to comment