Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

student/technology match

i often find when blending technology or using technology in an acadmic setting it is important to ensure that students are comfortable with the use of that specific technology through an orientation prior to the class. many of my students, even the younger ones find online learning a difficult process without it.

Mark,

The level of comfort with the technology is important. I have "helpful hints" posted in my course to help those who struggle with the technology and provide synchronous and asynchronous tutorials to help those that need it as well. Thanks for sharing.

I definitely struggle with students who aren't familiar with technology. On the one hand, it can be very frustrating for instructors to try to balance helping students with subject-based questions and concerns and helping students with technology issues. On the other, it's important for instructors to help students access the information and make the most out of their class.

Krystal,

Yes, it can be frustrating. A FAQ discussion board for technology issues can help alleviate some of your frustration.

The level of comfort is important, but usually this is taken-cafe-of before the student begins the class. Most schools I have been associated with has the student take a simulated course to ensure they are comfortable with the technology.

kevin,

Good point. We all like to feel comfortable and not stressed out when we are learning or teaching. Thanks!

At my institution it is common for only 5-6 students out of 25-30 to show up for the first chat, and the number typically declines week by week. I have tried starting out with announcements and emails pointing out how the chats will make their assignments easier to do and their grades higher. Still 5-6 show up. Any suggestions?

Lois,

Make their participation in these groups a part of their grade.

I don't particularly like holding live chats. I don't think that the technology that we currently have in place is really all that effective. In addition, students are not mandated to attend and so I end up with 1-2 at the most attending. It's almost as though talking to myself. It's also disappointing when students do not review the record archives either because I do think I do a great job at providing some noteworthy content to help them. I have constantly received praise from students who have attended and/or reviewed my chat archives. These are often the students that end up with As by the end of the term.

Jade,

When I use the live aspect of an online course, I schedule 4-5 live sessions and require students (it is part of their participation grade) to attend two. They can come to any two they like, but they have to participate in at least two. That has worked for me.

Sign In to comment