Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Synchronous vs. Asynchronous

In my program we pride ourselves on a primarily asynchronous program. By doing so it provides more flexibility. However there is a lack of connection wit Asynchronous programs. What do you believe is the best? Synchronous, Asynchronous, or a blend.? Some educators are quick to suggest Synchronous learning without taking into account the very real limitation of student’s, home, work, and personal schedules. I am open to hearing my classmates’ thoughts on the matter.

David,

There is flexibility in asynchronous learning so a blend is many times the best method if possible. The key in any online environment is communication and engagement. The instructor must use a variety of methods to engage students in all environments.

I know that we have heard it before, but it depends on the students. Often, I find, students don't know what they need or what is the best for them. They haven't done the analysis. For those students, a flipped class or blended class is a great first class. They can find their learning rhythm and then choose when modality is for them.

Hi David -
Great point! I prefer a synchronous class for the same reasons our students do. What I find is that with a weekly video and IM availability, students are quite happy with the instructor connection they have. What do you use to connect with students in the synchronous courses?
Lisa

One of the things that online education has going for it is the ability to have it mesh with one's need for flexibility. Thus, in my institution -- no, I don't mean "the funny farm," though sometimes I think that's possibly where I am headed -- we have a mix, but the majority of the mix is asynchronous. There are synchronous classed each day -- usually two hours -- and the balance of the hours necessary are done when it is convenient for the student. Many students who attend online university do so BECAUSE that need that flexibility and it works for them. My motto is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just tweak it here and there." :)

Anne,

You are right. Students are all different and we, as instructors, need to analyze our audience - the students. The better we know them, the better we can provide content to students to help them achieve the learning outcomes. Thanks.

Lisa and David,

Connections wi students are important no matter how you do it. I use Adobe Presenter, Blackboard and email mainly for asynchronous communication and Adobe Connect Professional for synchronous learning. Use what you can to make your connections with students.

P.,

I like the tweak it aspect. We all need to assess what we are doing and tweak. Thanks.

As you point out, asynchronous learning offers tht flexibility that many students need. This is why many students choose distance education.

However, offering supplemental (and optional) synchronous sessions allows for more social learning, which is important in the education process. I find that many students choose to take advantage of these optional synchronous sessions and truly benefit from them.

I enjoy a blend. It is nice to get to know students face to face and it is also nice for them to be able to contact you at their convenience. In the online environment students can send an IM anytime they see you online which helps when they need a questions answered right away. As an online instructor I do much of my teaching through email responding to questions which a student might typically be embarrassed to ask in a classroom. One of the best aspects to the asynchronous program is the availability of chat archives. What an amazing tool to be able to rewind and pause a lecture!

Sunshine,

I do too. When I offer synchronous meetings to review for a test or online office hours, etc. students take advantage of them. Thanks for your input.

Tanya,

I like the blend too. Even if it's an all asynchronous class, I like to incorporate/offer synchronous helpful sessions as well. Thanks!

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Online classes should include a blend of asynchronous and synchronous presentations. The synchronous programs provide students with "live" access to the instructor in a classroom envirmonment that permits the students to ask questions. You mentioned home, work, and personal schedules as being a negative aspect of synchronous learning. One must also take into account the different time zones in which students and the instructor live. I believe a blend of the live and a recorded presentation is the best route for an online class.

Martha,

A good combination between the two can be very effective. It is what I implement in my classroom in the online environment. Excellent.

Taking a formative view as the course progresses sometime changes my approach. Some classes are very active in "live chat", other sections I never hear from anyone. It seems it always a challenge to find the right mix for any group of students at a given time.

Jane,

I agree. Formative assessments provides essential information for instructors to develop an effective learning environment. Thanks for your input.

I actually prefer the hybrid/combined format, if I had a choice.

I like the interaction with students, and the ability to read their unspoken cues in a classroom setting, but really value the asynchronous flexibility as well.

Patricia,

To me, many times, it depends on the course. There are some writing classes where I prefer the blended environment, but other more software driving courses that work very well in a pure online format. Thanks for your input.

I teach for 2 separate schools with one using synchronous learning and the other asynchronous. My experience is that the students 'say' they want synchronous, but very few students utilize the capability. I don't believe it's so much the synchronous environment that they desire as much as they just need to feel 'connected'. If an instructor can find a way to fulfill that in an asynchronous environment then all is well.

Michelle,

This is interesting that you are seeing a pattern between students' actions in a synchronous vs. asynchronous environment. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sign In to comment