Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Much depends on the model established when enrolling students. We use both approaches depending on the program. Programs such as graphic arts have as many as four synchonous hours of instruction per week, that is recorded during the session. As we are marketed as an asynchronous school, we have to abide by the option that students may participate live, or choose to watch the recording, but we can mandate attendance in one format or another.

Other programs and courses do not require as much demonstration and we use as few as one hours of synchornous lecture/discussion per week with the same guidelines as above. This works fairly well for us.

Alan,

Good point. Many times it depends on the learning outcomes, content, students, etc. I like using both, but we all have to assess what works best for the instructor, content and students. Thanks.

In my opinion online courses should be a combination of synchronous and asynchonous communication between the instructor and the students. having a blend of these two different types of communication startegy allows for the student to receive the best aspects of both forms of communication in the overall learning process.

Frank Nolan

Frank,

I like the combination approach too. It's not always possible due to institutional requirements, but if I have any control, I use both. Thanks for your input.

We have always favored the synchronous delivery approach as many of the live relevant questions add value to our courses, but never really considered the positives that available chat archives can offer to our programs.we may have to look deeper into adding asynchronous material.

We have always favored the synchronous delivery approach as many of the live relevant questions add value to our courses, but never really considered the positives that available chat archives can offer to our programs. We may have to look deeper into adding asynchronous material.Do you record all online sessions?

Ed,

It's good to combine the two if you can. It gives you and the students more flexibility. Thanks for your input.

Ed,

A good combination of asynchronous and synchronous learning can be very effective. I do record all of my synchronous sessions so those who are not in attendance or those who need to refer to the content later, can do to. Thanks for your question.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I believe that a blend is important. This, I believe, will give us the opportunity to meet all students at their levels. I worked for an online program that only asynchronous communication. At first I thought, "Oh wow! This is great! I don't have to worry about scheduling chat sessions or anything!" But, after awhile, I came to realize that my students need some synchronous time with me so that I could fully explain the assignments in great detail.

Willie ,

There are a variety of things you can do to engage your students. Not all students learn by reading text online and doing assignments or taking quizzes. We have to engage them and synchronous chats are a good way. Thanks!

Sign In to comment