Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online vs Onsite

Those of you who have both taught online and onsite, can you provide input on what you found most challenging adjusting from the class room to the digital room?

As an Instructor who has taught both on ground and online, I have found that the most difficult and challenging aspect to online is student accountability.  In the classroom you have one on one contact with the student and are able to direct them to complete required assignments.  Online, as the Instructor, we give students the assignments necessary to complete each week but it is their responsibility to submit.  Often life issues get in the way and excuses are made for not turning them in.

Good Evening James,

I am an Information Technology (IT) Professor and I find that students are much more challenged taking IT courses online because it is hard for them to pick up on learning a skill-set as well as it is hard for some IT Professors to teach technology online. I find the common denominator to be patience, varied methods of performing commands and execution, and ability to teach to all learning styles outside of one's personal methods. Teaching someone computer literacy by use of hardware, software, and commands is challenging both online and on-ground. However, the level of anxiety is less elevated with the presence of a Professor.

As an online student, I found very few classes to be challenging. But I did find being disciplined challenging taking my first few online courses. I found myself being a procrastinator at times getting work completed and I sort of fell into the Dependent learner. For me, I prefer to take online courses because I am disciplined to do so and do not need the presence of a Professor; however, my PhD is the only degree I have obtained in an online program. I hope I answered your question.

~Professor Cynthia Hughes

Sign In to comment