Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What is a good turn-around time for feedback on research papers/essays?

I find the magic number to be no longer than three days (72 hours).  However. I strive for a 48 hour turn-around time.  This can be difficult when you have many students.  So, I think that it is critical that the assignment be appropriate for the size of class and support (or assesses) the learning objective/outcomes.

Michael,

I'm farily new to AIU (4 Sessions completed), but I've developed a pretty good habit of grading essay/research papers within the 48 hour mark.   Most students will submit their work on Sunday night (deadline is 11:59pm).  I start grading on Monday and will alternate from top to bottom on the roster to make sure each student does not get graded the same time each week.   With larger class sizes, I usually complete half the class on Monday and finish the other half on Tuesday (within the 48 hour mark).    For those exceptional students, who submit prior to Sunday, I have about a 24 hour turnaround.      Hope this helps!

Michael, I'm required to submit grades within 48 hours.  Many of my students also wait until the very last moment to post their written assignments but for those who post ahead of time, I grade them immediately.  Essentially, I check to see if anyone has submitted thier assignment or project on daily basis.  I find that that there are at least 2 - 3 students (depending on class size) who do not wait until the last minute to submit.  Grading work as soon as their submitted helps alleviate my work load greatly.

I believe grades should be posted within 48 hours. Like this we keep students active in class. I tool usualy complete grading by Tuesdays for those last minute students who turn in work at the last minute (Sunday 11:59PM). I grade assignments, tests and discussions througout the week, so I don't have a set day/s to grade. It is an ongoing item for me.

Michael.

I think that your proposal of 48 hours is reasonable for a small to mid size classroom.   What are your thoughts on large class sizes of 35 students and your proposed 48 hour turn around time for grades?

Sign In to comment