Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Changes in Higher Education

What do you feel about the student-centered learning approach?

It is fine provided the student doesn't expect everything "handed to them." As of late, some but not all think we (Instructors) are here to rubber stamp any individual project submissions and provide them with an automatic "A" grade.

Steven ,
Oh yes, the dreaded, "automatic A". It seems such a shame that students often seem intent on just making the grade but not doing the work.

Renee Shaffer

I hate to appear cynical Renee but I'm seeing it more often then I should. When these few students don't like your feedback they retaliate by providing unjustified poor reviews at the end of the class.

Steven ,
Yes, we, I think, are seeing more often. I have experienced that. Some of it may have to due with the "consumer" mindset that the students has been brought up in. They want what they want, when they want it and sometimes they don't want to work/wait for it. I think however that we also find that attitude outside of education.

Renee Shaffer

I have embraced the student - centered learning approach, it allows the student the ability to be engaged in their learning , to reflect and self evaluate and it does empower the student with leadership and initiative skills. Student-centered learning approach gives the instructor the ability to assess the student's strength and weaknesses which is very helpful in the learning process. I feel that this is a very effective approach Renee.

Stella,
Indeed. It is so wonderful when students really "get" the topic and become interested in it. Often nowadays the only way to make that happen is to engage them in student-centered learning.

Renee Shaffer

I like the student center learning approach because it will engage students more because they are interested in the subject\topic. It’s important that instructor teach students but more importantly putting the student’s interest first is key to a happy and successful student. I also like that the student-centered approach also focuses on student's abilities, and learning styles while the instructor are seen as the facilitator\subject matter expert.

Shundra Mosby

Shundra,
This was so good to read. So often I hear from instructors who have no interest in keeping the student's interests at heart.

Renee Shaffer

The student-centered learning approach is sound and practical. Faculty who design courses centered around their students make a win-win situation. The student-centered approach follows Dewey's principles and fits with active learning. Are there any drawbacks with student-centered learning? Do the pros outweigh the cons? What are your thoughts?

Jay Familant

Jay,
One of the drawback of student centered learning occurs when the student is in the course for the wrong reason and they don't want to participate. That is really difficult for everyone involved.

Renee Shaffer

I believed its a good way to keep the student actively engaged

I have to say that I agree with this approach. I find that there are too many instances in this day and age where the students are coddled. I have had some administrators tell me that "my student success rate" will be a key factor in whether I get more classes to teach. Translation: If you don't pass enough students, you won't get anymore classes. I can pass any student, but that doesn't mean the student has learned anything, or is any better off than when they first entered my class. I feel if you put the ownership on the student, and then give the student the tools they require, not only will the students learn something, they will be engaged and lean to love learning itself.

Amy,

I totally understand where you are coming from in respect to whether or not you get to teach more classes. This is certainly unfortunate.

Renee Shaffer

Amy, I completely agree with you. By "grading" the instructor, leads to "real" educators to be forced to pass students, just so the instructor can keep their job. Since an asynchronous online teaching environment is very different from ground or a synchronous environment, sometimes become difficult to motivate disengaged students. For most online students, this is the first time they have used a computer as much as they do now online, so keeping the student engaged is the key in student centered active learning.

The student is the customer, therefore, being student centered just makes sense!

I liked these points specifically:
• Immersion: Students are immersed in the topic for a great deal of the academic term.
• Self-reflection: Both the instructor and students must reflect.

Why do more schools not do this?

Tonia, this is a good point, when you are do not 'see' the student, the instructor has to be proactive to look for students that have disappeared and reach out to them.

Renee, what do you do if this happens? How can you get them interested / engaged?

I personally like the student-centered learning approach. I think everyone learns more, is more attentive, and is better interested when it is a combination of input and shared experiences from everyone in the class instead of just hearing from the instructor. Being able to share provides a sense of value to the students as well.

Stephanie,

It is certainly more enjoyable for most students to hear from and share with their fellow students. The more that students will a part of the class, the more engaged they will be.

Renee Shaffer

Sign In to comment