Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facilitation Time of Online Versus Traditional Classroom Settings

In your opinion, does the facilitation of online courses take more time than facilitation of the traditional classroom?

In my opinion, facilitation of online courses does take more time. One reason I think this is because it takes more time to "read" my online students because I can't see the nonverbals they provide. Also, I don't type as fast as I talk--and I am a fast typist.

Great question. It will be interesting to see what other responses will be. Thanks Debra.

I will be interested to see if this is true since this month will be my first class in which I teach both the online and the in-class portion. With the 100% on-campus classes, I would find I spent an extra 5-15 hours per week working on the course in addition to the in-class time, depending on if I had taught the class before or not.
I will come back to this thread and let you know what I have discovered by January!

Sounds great Alison. Thanks!

The time issue really depends on many factors. My first semester with my online school was more time intensive than some first semesters at FTF schools because I had less support. In some ways, it's not possible to "wing it" in the online setting as much as in the traditional setting. Or at least, the improvisation factor is not as easily achieved the first time out in an online setting.

With a few semester under my belt, I am managing my time better in online teaching than traditional settings because I don't have to get dressed and go to school, for one thing. I can work around domestic and family responsibilities more effectively.

Teaching in your pajama's is certainly one of the perks of teaching online! :-)

I agree that time is much easier to manage teaching on-line because of the factors you mentioned, as well as there being fewer interruptions by staff/colleagues/students. Transportation time is also an advantage in the on-line venue. One would also think that for our students this would assist them with time-management. However, I disagree that it is more difficult to "wing it" on-line. As long as you are not caught in a synchronous session, you have time to research any questions for which you do not know the answer. I would prefer to teach a new course on-line, rather than on-ground for the first go-round.

I agree that there are fewer interruptions by staff/colleagues/students--but more interuptions by my kids! :-)

Yes, just the discussion alone. Due to time, only a few students may communication in a traditional class. Online, every students has the opportunity and are typically required to participate 2 to 3, even 4 days of the week. Instructors should read all this dialogue.

Yes, if you factor in get-ready-for-work time and travel time, I couldn't imagine online instructing would take more time than traditional classroom instruction. That is still time taken out of our lives that we expend for our jobs.

Great point Adele. Thanks for your comment.

I agree, the more I teach the same class, the easier it becomes but then the course or book is changed and back to the beginning we go! Traditional includes "drive" time!

I work for several institutions in several modalities, but in general we try to re-write on a rotational schedule.

Michele, I've debated in so many of this same topic. I always feel like online consumes double the time of facilitation than that of Traditional Classroom Settings. For one thing, with Onling environment, I feel like I work around the clock as long as I'm online and my students start pulling on me through email, voicemails, live calls, instant messaging as well as chatting. With onground, at least you're not with them 24/7.

I believe that online classes to take longer than face to face. There is much more work for the teacher. I have taught ground classes and I teach 1 or 2 nights a week and then grade. In my online classes I have to go on almost every night to monitor the discussion board, post announcements, answer emails, etc. I try to grade assignments as they come in and provide timely feedback. It takes a lot more management of my time for an online course. I sent out many emails encouraging students to submit work on time or handle questions/problems. There is just a lot more involved. 

Sign In to comment