Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Code of conduct for online participation

We are considering offering online courses for the first time this fall. At various times throughout module 4, you have referred to the code of conduct for online participation in managing an online course. How does a school go about creating or establishing a code of conduct for online participation? What type of reference materials or examples are available to schools that would provide direction? examples?

Mary:
The Code of Conduct should as a minimum define rules for participating in online discussions and chat sessions. These rules can be derived fron any resource that defines "netiquette". The remainder of the Codie fo conduct can be selected from existing policies; for example, those governing plagiarism. You may want to research codes of conduct implemented by reputable online universities and colleges.
Satrohan

For those students who continually violate the code of conduct, does the instructor give the "ultimatum," or does the instructor turn this particular situation over to an administrator?

Stephen:
This would depend on the policies of the Institution. I am not familiar with North American policies.

I ask other students in this course to share with you their knowledge on the Subject.

My take----the Instructor should be delegated the authority to give the "ultimatum".
Satrohan

The code of conduct for online should be peppered with diplomacy. Sure, there are rules to follow but they include an indirect/direct method of delivery. Most of those students who wish to learn online are serious; this adds an added aspect for them to work with the program and not against it. When in doubt I always look to my peer instructor and director.

Ed:
I agree that the majority of online students; especially those gainfully employed, are seriosu about advancing their knowldege and skills through online learning. Please alaborate on these two statements to help me to fulkly comprehend the position you ahve taken on this Subject.

1. "peppered with diplomacy'

2. indirect/direct method

Thanks Ed.
Satrohan

I feel as though the instructor should give the "ultimatum". However, the instructor also needs to make the administrator aware of the situation. Students have a tendency to try to go over the instructor's head. Informing the administrator about the situation prevents them from getting any unwanted surprises and may allow them to give you the adequate support you need to facilitate your course.

I am wondering the same thing. Would you implement the same on ground campus catalog? And whatever the code of conduct is, it should be followed closely.

Nilda:
Thee on-the-ground campus catalog will not focus on aspects of online learning. While some of it will be included in the online course; policy for plaigarism, for example, there are other rules for conduct in an online environment. Please share your thoughts on some areas in which rules or guidelines for conduct must be prescribed.
Satrohan

I am new to online teaching, but have been teaching on ground for a decade. Therefore I have not had any conduct experiences good or bad as of yet. However, our school has an academic judiciary committee that meets weekly to discuss any code of conduct issues. Check with your school to see if they review your online degree issues.

Sometimes it feels like online teachers are on their own, but in a reality they have a whole school to help provide assistance to students. Your suggestion to reach out to others at the school to provide assistance is a great one Tim. Thanks for sharing it with the group.

There are plenty of times when a student's anger/frustration can be multiplied because of the tone of voice of the individual delivering a bad message. I understand all too well that you can communicate an ultimatum (or bad news) to a student in such a way which makes them more upset. When an Instructor or administrator is diplomatic with the student, there is a much greater chance the student will work around the problem and not lose focus.

A direct response to a question a student may have may be simply, "NO"

An indirect response could be something along the lines of, "Well, the reason why the school does not allow exceptions to the rule is because..." An instructor or administrator can give the student more details so that they can look at it from a different perspective.

One other thing I will mention to the discussion of code of conduct is that it is also important for students to know who to communicate with when a problem arises. As an instructor, I always go over this information in class so that students don't get lost.

I teach a hybrid class at a small private college and I have not had many problems with inappropriate behavior on the course platform. However, at the beginning of each class, I explain that anything they say online should be worded tactfully. Remind students that a chat is essentially a face-to-face conversation. When my students try to compare their class's chats to IMing or texting their friends, we review the differences between formal and informal language. Even though it sounds like everyone would know these things, my classes have a huge age range, and having all students on the same page has alleviated problems with conflict.

Jennifer,
You have identified a widespread issue for postsecondary online classes. Many schools handle these differently, even from teacher to teacher within one school, sometimes, there is great difference in the requirement for professional/academic communication. Very good discussion.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment